Here I go! my 20 Gallon start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, here goes nothing.

I found a 20 Gallon tank on CL for 10 bucks, I had a different idea for it, but Why not.

Im going to start FOWLR and end up with a reef tank I hope, so I can learn the SW side while I finish up my 75 gallon.
I really dont want to spend the time and money on the 75 gallon just to kill everyone and everything in it, when I can start with this cheaper.*tho I know nano tanks are harder but with work comes learning)

The tank has a 200 Biowheel for a 30-50 gallon tank, Think Ill be changing that to a Canister, Ive read biowheels arnt the best for reefs. Will be getting a Odyssea Lighting system.

As far as stocking, Im thinking along the lines of:

2 Scissortail Goby
1 Black Sailfin Blenny
Mated pair of Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish(to grow out for the 75 gallon)

and then CUC

Could ditch the Clowns till I do in fact get the 75 gallon, but I know I want the Scissortails

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 109
Do not put a canister filter on a SW aquarium. Saltwater aquarium filtration is much much different then FW.

If you want a filter to have the option of running carbon in thats fine but use an AquaClear filter and take out the media other then the carbon. You will need a power head for it a Korilia 450 would be good for it. Also bare bottom doesnt look as good as sand to most but its MUCH easier to care for without sand and easier to keep clean. My 75g Is a barebottom tank and I LOVE it. My 4g does have sand however but its because I wanted to and am willing to deal with the extra work that comes along with it. I would tell you to read more about the equipment side of sw keeping because its very important into making the tank.

Dont have that many fish in the tank...Clowns are extreamly aggressive most the time they are not the peacfull loving fish people think they are. I love them and always have a pair but just know they will command the whole tank. clowns basicly live in a bubble and they have little respect for fish that enter that bubble. they will destroy those gobies. the blenny will work out just fine but do not have more then 3 fish in the tank and do not put anything in the tank that swims around much because the clowns will attack it until its dead. put the clowns in TOGETHER and LAST in the tank it will help the aggression alot. I had a 25g tank that I had 2 clowns in they killed 6 fish except my Midis Blenny they always liked him

Equipment I have on my 20g
-15-20 Lbs of rock (dont buy live rock just buy base rock, it will become live,its cheaper, it has no pests.)
-2x Korilia 450
- Reef octopus bh1000 Protein skimmer

thats what I was worried about, Them running the tank. But I figured Id get a 2cd Op.

So they are out, Ill stick with the Blacksail and Scissortails.

I will be doing sand, as I have 6 bags already here for the 75 gallon build, Ill just steal from from it lol. I have 20lbs of Base Rock. was thinking of at least 5lbs of Live rock.

thats what I was worried about, Them running the tank. But I figured Id get a 2cd Op.

So they are out, Ill stick with the Blacksail and Scissortails.

I will be doing sand, as I have 6 bags already here for the 75 gallon build, Ill just steal from from it lol. I have 20lbs of Base Rock. was thinking of at least 5lbs of Live rock.

skip the live man trust me...dont introduce bs pests in your tank. I will NEVER use live rock again. my tank is currently unable to have coral because I put 1 rock of live rock in the tank and intoduced Hydroids and theres No getting rid of them other then taring down the tank killing all the rock and recycle. I will NEVER use live rock again and when base rock will become live in no time so its pointless to risk the pests.

I use a Fluval canister for my SW tank and its worked wonderfully. I rinse everything out with my weekly PWC and alternate changing out the sponges and water polishing pads and my nitrates have been fine. There are lots of people who use canisters in SW. You just gotta get a filter that's rated for twice the size of your tank for a SW tank. :)

KevinM said:
Thanks, Ill drop the Live Rock and get a little more Base Rock to finish out the aquascape.

I used real reef which is man made, it looks pretty good and has all the bacteria you need but no hitch hikers. It has worked pretty good for me. It will eventually be covered with coralline and won't look any different than real LR.

I use a Fluval canister for my SW tank and its worked wonderfully. I rinse everything out with my weekly PWC and alternate changing out the sponges and water polishing pads and my nitrates have been fine. There are lots of people who use canisters in SW. You just gotta get a filter that's rated for twice the size of your tank for a SW tank. :)

well I would just HATE to clean out my filter every week...and I know that 80% of people in this hobby at some point will say "i dont think ill clean my filter this week" then they dont the next week and the next week then boom disaster...I just never see anything good from a canister in SW and theres really no point what so ever to have one. they will not help with filtration other then removing chunks that will settle on the sand and get siphoned out or quickly consumed by the critters of the sand. Instead you are giving it a nice place to hide for a week till you get it out. Idk i understand the desire to have one when entering the hobby because I did too. But i read and read about it and found nothing good for having one. and they are just an additinal expense. If you have one laying around and you are using it because its not being used sell it and get yourself an Vortec MP10, that will be of great use to the tank and will be one of the best things you have ever bought. I know mine was.

Well I'm doing PWC every week anyways, and it takes less than 10 min to rinse everything. Anyone who is lazy about upkeep probably should look for a different hobby cuz in SW, upkeep is priority #1.

Well I'm doing PWC every week anyways, and it takes less than 10 min to rinse everything. Anyone who is lazy about upkeep probably should look for a different hobby cuz in SW, upkeep is priority #1.

who wants to clean something every week for no reason...thats 10mins of my day I spent doing something that is messy and have no reason to do because theres no place for canister filters in SW keeping.

KevinM said:
Im actually leaning to Rock, Sand, and a HOB Refugium on this tank.

Thanks everyone

With sand LR and an HOB fuge is there any reason for me to be running an HOB filter? Is that all that is needed?

Back
Top Bottom