Here is my jump into reef JBJ nanocube 28 intermediate LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And today QT was ready to go...or so I thought.
So I check sg 1.009 awesome, take apart LR and start the fishing. Catch the fish get them in buckets and put LR back; I'll deal with aquascaping later.
Check my ph and it is 7.4, uh oh. I have to get fishies in; they are looking rough, so I grab a cup of water and 1tbs baking soda stir it up real brisk and pour it into QT with power head turned on. Check ph half hour later and it is looking good.
Fishies are now in quarantine and don't look pleased at all. Gramma laying on his side gasping, he started this mess, hope he gets some strength. He was not out for breakfast this morning. Firefish swims about then hides in PVC hope he keeps that. Goby is breathing deeply but that is about it.
I normally use reef crystals but am using ocean crystals while in quarantine, 3 tbs to 1 gallon makes sg .0085.
Herbatana was no use for me and gramma is looking rough.

Did you say that your salinity is 1.009?! If so, then your fish will definitely die. The bare minimum should be 1.0019, but usually 1.023-1.025 is ideal. If you wanted to lower the salinity, you should do it very gradually so they get adjusted and aren't in shock.

Let ph get out of hand and dart fish is dead. Other fishies not looking so good. Guess I am going fish less for a while.
Hypo is not easy to do.

Wish I could get my jawfish to eat, sry not goby, he has been fasting since in QT. I tried mysis and pellets. He use to eat those with a passion. Should I try some brine shrimp?

Well after reading reviews I am holding my breath that my order from Aquacon is not a bust. I made a request that it come on Friday, ordered Monday night. I will post what I get and how it looks honestly and with pictures. 1 sponge, feather worm and lava chalie.

Capncavey said:
Ever wonder where your acclimating fish went?

Haha. I have 2 cats- that pic right there is why I won't leave the room during acclimation!! My cats would do that in a heartbeat!!

You know obscure cats are pretty smart you didn't use to have 3 did you?
I think she is the culprit to the hole in screen and missing beta.
Aquacon called and confirmed tomorrow shipment. Will be posting pics.

Well package arrived and things look ok. Sponge water stunk and looked dirty. Feather looked tough. Acclimating now.

The sponge is not as pretty as I hoped.
image-237812358.jpg

Attachments

• image-1154495096.jpg
    image-1154495096.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-4062417899.jpg
    image-4062417899.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-471799081.jpg
    image-471799081.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 106
Sponge didn't make it. Well next time I will purchase sponge from lfs. The lava chalice is doing good.

I hear people upgrading there pumps to mj1200 and am wondering how they deal with the grinding? I tried running both returns at same time and it drains he back to much. How important is lots of flow through filtration vs lots of flow in tank?

I run my returns (MJ-1200s) on 90 second intervals on the wave maker. I currently use a Koralia 750 power head in the display for my flow. I have found no benefit to running both the returns simultaneously, as I try to have a slower flow through the media chambers to increase contact time.

As far as grinding from the Maxi-Jets, I have no grinding. They run silent, and have been for several months. I should say, mine are the Italian made pumps vs the those made in China. I've heard of several issues such as noise and locking up from those manufactured in China.

I had my hood blink out on me, quite literally, it was blinking every second. Called jbj and well they sent me the upgraded hood. Wow they are bright LEDs. I am going to try a ramp schedule:
ml = moonlights 2@1w 456 nm
dd = dawn dusk 4@3w 466 nm
dl = day light 14k
ml on @ 6am off @ 8:30, on @ 1:30 off @ 3, on @ 9pm off 10pm
dd on @ 8:30 off @ 11am, on @ 12:30 off @ 4:30pm
dl on @ 11am off @ 8pm
Will that work?
I got a bunch of sps. Fun with a mixed reef

Also my jawfish survived hypo treatment and a tank cycle, new QT poorly set up. This is what he thinks of frogspawn

Attachments

• image-968468069.jpg
    image-968468069.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 92
I have frogspawn, candy cane, and war coral each about 3" apart. Is that going to be a problem and what do I look for in stings?

Attachments

• image-1920529110.jpg
    image-1920529110.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 88
I have frogspawn, candy cane, and war coral each about 3" apart. Is that going to be a problem and what do I look for in stings?

If you notice one of them closing up and stay retracted on the side facing the other ones is a sign.

Back
Top Bottom