hermit crabs vs. snails for reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CARM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 5.5 nano reef soon and was wondering for my clean-up crew, which would be the better choice: hermit crabs (probably blue-legged) or snails? And how many?

Snails would be better and safer (they can also clean the glass).

Hermits will make use of the snails' shells (without the consent of the snails).

True but if you provide enough empty shells they don't tend to kill them too much...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Hmmmm yeah I initially thought I'd get both that way I have the snails to help clean the glass and the hermit crabs to sift the sand, BUT I heard the crabs will kill the snails for the shells, as Fishguy2727 said "without their consent" lol
but TomStav that's a good idea to provide some extra shells maybe I'll do that thanks guys!

oh ya how many of each tho???the thing about snails I don't want them multiplying into 47749274829163 snails all over the place.....

You can get sand sifting snails to help keep the sand clean. I would put about 5 astrea snail and 10 Nassarius vibex(sand sifters)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Ceriths also clean the sandbed. As well as rocks, and the glass.

that sounds like a bit much for a 5G BeanPets, i dont even have that many snails in my 14G

i'd get say 2 nassarius, and 2 astrea, and 2 cerith. For a small tank i wouldnt want any snails dying because of hermits and causing an ammonia spike, so i say no hermits

I would suggest both, I would go with 4-7 snails, and around 4-5 hermits. I threw in a few empty snail shell in my tank and the hermits have left my snails alone. Just don't get the big hermits like an Electric Blue, stick with the Dwarfs.

I would have 2-3 large nassarius or 10-12 small in addition to the other types. Keeping the sandbed clean is very important.

i think you guys are suggesting wayy to much, this is a 5 gallon correct??
heres what I say:
2 blue legged hermits
2 red leged hermits
6 empty shells larger then theirs
2 nassirus
4 nerites

I have a Mix of hermits and snails and so far nobody has killed anybody LOL
You will need snails for the glass, hermits are fun to watch :)

I started with 3 Hermits and 3 turbo snails. I have 3 hermits. Clearly there wasn't enough turbo for the snails to make off. I now have 3 hermits and one rather large snail which will crawl/creep over the hermits crab shells.

Besides, crabs don't clean your glass from algae like snails do.

thx for the advice everyone, i think i'm just going to stick with snails for my reef
maybe i'll get some hermits for my fowlr tho to clean up the sandbed

Back
Top Bottom