Hey everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toon.inc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small tank that I am wanting to build a nano reef in and keep a couple of clown fish. I know nothing when it comes to salt water. What equipment do I need etc

First thing a book like saltwater for dummies or something :) I just recently started saltwater and I wish I would have bought one first

I found these forums and you tube to be a great help. Steady, consistent water changes will help minimize things going wrong in your system. A big deal with corals is lighting so really think about that. Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Yes definitely seek out the advice of the more knowledgeable within the forum. GO SLOW! Patience is the key here, one step at a time. Lighting, water movement, and correct water parameters, not necessarily in that order.

:popcorn:

What size tank are you going to do? It's suggested at least a pound of LR per gallon to start but you can go up to two pounds. I've been told that you want to get very textured or porous rock the Live Rock will actually be your filter. So 15 gallon tank = 15 - 30 pounds of Live Rock. Aquascaping is one of the best parts of FOWLR and/or the Reef. When you place your corals you're still aquascaping / designing. If you want a reef then your SG should be around 1.025 - 1.026. The nitrogen cycle still needs to happen, so however you're comfortable do it that way. I use the API Saltwater and Reef Master test kits and a Hydrometer for all my readings.

This link is about a Nano build, Evansimp went from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon mid way through and had some issues here and there. His build was like reading a good book to me. It moved quickly and had lots of good information. It may take some time but lot's of good stuff in there. Stick with it and good luck!

:dance:

Back
Top Bottom