How Hard is it to.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
set up one of those little nano tanks(like those little gallon, or 1.5)? and can i set one up to have an anenomi? or something to that extent, and a like crab or something?

onah said:
set up one of those little nano tanks(like those little gallon, or 1.5)? and can i set one up to have an anenomi? or something to that extent, and a like crab or something?
i would think very hard if you have never done saltwater before. i would think you are referring to a nano SW tank since you mentioned an Anemone, perhaps you will have more luck if you post your SW questions in the SW section... :?

lol, i didnt even think aboput posting it over there!lol, i was hoping the little oen wouldnt be as hard for the up keep, can this post be moved to the SW forum general disscussion please.

Nano tanks are no more or less difficult than a big SW tank. Difference is, you can screw one up easier since the water volume is so small. But they can indeed be cheaper, esp. when it comes to stocking the tank. I'd say it's a good start for someone breaking into the hobby.

As for anenomes, i'd say forget it unless you're an experienced reefer. Anenomes need PRISTINE water, and they're messy eaters (high-protein foods) so that makes 'em really hard to keep in a nano. Plus they occasionally like to take a stroll through a powerhead (yuck.) and in such a small environment, that's hard to prevent.

I'd say for anenomes, you need a good size tank (at least 30-40 gals) with efficient protein skimming and I'd keep the tank relatively understocked to keep the water as clean as possible.

note: we're not even talking about lighting requirements here, that's a whole other ballgame.

-dave-

yea i was kinda expecting that but i wanted to see, alas another FW, lol:)

don't be discouraged... it IS cheaper, and really, IMO, SW is not any harder than, say, a FW planted tank.

if you're nervous just start slow.

I set up a fully stocked nano from absolute scratch and it cost me about 4-500 dollars. Here's a breakdown of what it's likely gonna cost for a 2.5gal setup:

tank: 40
light: 60
salt: 15
live sand: 15
live rock: 20
heater: 30
2 azoo mini filters: 15
hydrometer: 10

total is around 200 bucks. not so bad, right? (note: this is totally off the top of my head, from what I remember my initial costs to be)

honestly, i've never had a SW tank that didn't cycle within 4 days. Trick is to use water straight from the liverock tank at your LFS. (2 gallons for nano, up to 10 gals for large tanks) It jump starts your tank.

-dave-

The water does not carry the nitrifying bacteria. If your tank cycled in 4 days it`s because your LR was already cured. LR and LS and the beneficial bacteria that they collect is the reason for the cycle.

I do not recommend nanos for SW beginers, but it is certainly possible. If you are one to go slow, take your time and are strick on tank maintanence you will have success.

An anenmoe will not fit in a tank that size, unless you go with aiptasia (nuisance anenmoe). THey also need a well established tank of 6-12 months.

ah! you're probably right... i did use fully cured live rock each and every time.

but water must have at least SOME nitrifying bacteria, otherwise, how would bacteria colonize a filter sponge, etc. right?

-dave-

cowman345 said:
but water must have at least SOME nitrifying bacteria, otherwise, how would bacteria colonize a filter sponge, etc. right?
I would say there is probably some free floating bacteria, probably just enough to spread.

If you wnated to start into saltwater on a nano, I would recommend at the least a 10 gallon. (that is what I am doing as well, first SW tank..did have a 5..but choosing a stocking list for that is way too hard) It gives some room to work with. The nanocubes would be the perfect actualy tank, as they even have in build it refugiums and I think have optional lighting systems that should be enough for most needs.

I have had FW tanks for a year, everything from 5 gallons to my 75 gallon. I dont even have fish in the 10 gallon yet, and it is my favorite tank. SW is so much differant than fresh, I would recommend it. :)

As for a FW planted tank being of the same difficulty as a SW tank, I disagree. If you plan ahead, there are no unexpected tragedies that can befall a planted tank. SW is a differant story, the wrong hitchiker can cause a nightmare of problems if not identified and taken care of in time.

I have to disagree with jarred. I have both a 56 gallon high light planted freshwater tank, and a 12 gallon nano reef. I have to say that the sw is MUCH easier to take care of. Freshwater planted tanks are extremly finicky. One miss dosing, or one small CO2 accident, and expect a tank full of some kind of algae that takes months if not longer to clear up, usually at the cost of losing most of your plants.

I didn't mean to turn this into a discussion of which is tougher, a nano reef or a fresh planted, I am really just telling the OP to go for it. I have had a nano reef for about a year, and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom