How much current can little corals take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laniloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm curious about how sturdy coral is, when it comes to current. I realize that the ocean has some pretty hefty currents and that doesn't seem to hurt the coral, but in a tank - if it's constantly being hit by the same stream of current, does that do any long term damage? Do they prefer to be less agitated?

Ok I am still new at this and still a Coral virgin myself but I thought I might take a stab at the question with my thoughts on the subject

All corals have different requierments as far as what flow they like. You may just have to do some research. They need the water flow to get the beneficial nutrients from the elements in the salt water. Your goal is to create a random chaotic current so that the current is not just flowing one direction leaving stagnant areas(little flow little nutrients)Too much flow may cause it to close up as a defense depending on the coral. This is usually done by pointing a powerhead at the glass or at a rock or by pointing 2 powerheads together. In such a small tank the flow should bounce off of the walls pretty good with even 1 small powerhead.

I am very interested about your setup do you think maybe we could see a photo to get a better mental picture??

Yep - that's definitely on my list of to-do's. I know it's hard to give advice without seeing the setup.

Thank you for your comments though - I'll do some more research on the particular coral that is in my tank, and I'll try putting it somewhere where it's not getting blasted by the current (on one side).

Corals and current vary greatly from animal to animal. If using your boxed tank as a reef, I doe recomment placing a second powerhead in the main tank to add a bit more flow and chaotic current. You will find areas of your tank with higher flow and some with lower flow. Coral placement will depend on the species and the amount of flow in a particular area of the tank. Don't worry...adding a second powerhead to the tank will not be overkill for just about any coral species. In fact, it will most certainly help the overall health of your future corals.

Sounds like a good plan. Any suggestions on the type of powerhead I should get for a 14gallon biocube? Also, would the powerhead just be used for flow? Or should I put a filter (or lr rubble?) inside? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I've never done a nano, but maybe a mini-jet? I know they make maxi-jets. I'm not sure how big a Hydor Koralia 1 is. But I like the flow of those.
Actually I just looked and they have a Koralia Nano .
You may want to wait to see if anyone has used the nano ones....

Just wanted to add something I learned the hard way. :)

Make sure you buy some sort of epoxy to hold your corals down. They don't take too well to being dropped on the sand by water current.

I have aqua-clear power heads and really like them. They aren't the smallest though.

Good idea! Fortunately my little coral came attached to a rock, so it's been easy to keep it in place, but I'll keep that in mind for when I add more coral :)

I use a mini-jet 606 on the inside of my nano. I also upgraded the stock return pump with a maxi-jet 900. Together they create pretty good flow.

I went to the LFS today and picked up a Hydor Koralia Nano Reef Circulation Pump for my 14g biocube.

I've tried a few different locations but I'm still not 100% sure where it would be best placed. The best, from what I can tell, is placing it underneath the return pump (on the side glass wall, facing the opposite side glass wall (tilted towards surface).

Below is a picture of a bio14 (I havent taken any pictures of my tank yet, so this is a picture I googled, however it does show where the stock return pump is located). Any suggestions? Currently my LR are in a horseshoe type patern (along the back wall and sides - though the sides are very low).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

img_842437_0_6b608dfc37a07c369bcffa16194f7ff2.jpg

I would place it on the upper rear wall on one side facing the front tank glass the flow would then do a bank shot off the glass and flow over the rocks breaking up the flow and circulating the entire tank.. Just a thought??

Back
Top Bottom