How much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jspicer16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to reef keeping and was wondering whats too much? I see these pictures of these amazing nano reef tanks where there is something growing everywhere you look from top to bottom and and love it and I wont lie, I'd like to have something like that some day. Right now I have a 20 gallon tank thats been up and running for exactly a year and a half. The tank parameters seem very stable, I test for nitrate/ph/nitrite/ammonia/alk/cal every saturday as well as swap out a 2 gallon water change.

I have probably 15-20 lbs of live rock, I cant really remember how much. There has only been some zoos and some xenias in there and a hairy mushroom thats growing like crazy as well as a small purple mushroom that has now become three small ones. I only have two tank raised ocellaris clowns in there, a hermit crab, and two turbo snails.

A LFS has a very nice torch coral I've had my eye on for a week now and would love to get. I was wondering if i could put that in my tank? I've seen like 8 gallon tanks with those in there even with more coral then i got.

that sounds good, but whats the wattage on the bulbs?

i think you should be fine though, torch are medium light corals

Lighting-wise you're fine, but I wouldn't put a torch in a 20g. It can put out some loooonng sweepers when it senses other corals, and in a 20g it could pretty much reach anything. I had (past tense) a torch in the middle of my 46g (bad idea) and watched it reach out about 10 inches and sting a Stylophora multiple times. Kinda interesting to watch, but not for long. The torch was at the LFS for credit the next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom