How to Refresh a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't really mess with the sand. Overtime toxic gases can accumulate down in the DSB which when disturbed are released into the water column and can have some horrifying results. Just do some frequent water changes and scrub the algae off while siphoning out what comes loose. For the sand just siphon out the algae you see and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My LFS recommends the same, a total water change as well as some sand syphoning or rinsing. Also recommended a star fish, preferably a sand sifting one, or even a sea cucumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Both will probably starve in that size tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh ok, best way to remove algae then would just be scrubbing then? Or is there another way to cleanse the rocks of this unholy algae

Probably so, but make sure you syphon out as much as you can.

Is there anything I should do or add or not add to make sure this doesn't just come right back in the rocks?

I would feed less and do more PWC`s to cut back on excessive nutrients. You could try a blackout for a few days.

Blackout? No lights? Or is that sheet over the tank?

No lights. The lights are one of the fueling factors along with the excessive nutrients. Knock out one of the two and you should see a big drop in your algea.

Awesome. Thanks, will post pics and keep updated.

I did he 100 percent water change yesterday. I took out all my rocks and scrubbed them in freshwater and used a toothbrush (a new one) and it got rid of most of the thick green areas. I've had the lights off ever since and haven't fed it. I'm getting an updated cleaner crew today to help go over and clean what I didn't. I didn't touch the sand bed other than to pull and then put them back in. Removed my filter blocks and washed them in freshwater (different freshwater) and new water polishing pads as well. I cleaned the interior of the tank with filter floss and tooth brush on the back of the tank and the chambers. Overall really pleased with the cleaning and water change

In my opinion and experience you should never do a full water change. It messes with the chemistry of the tank. I always suggest no more than a 33% PWC. The fish is already adapted to the water you have and then you throw it in a completely different setting. I have known folks that have had alot of fish die due to the large PWC.

I had no problem with the water change with my fish, coral, or inverts. Just need to make sure salinity and water temp are very close to what they were in. The one thing you did that may cause problems for you is having your rock in freshwater.

The freshwater will kill of most of the beneficial bacteria. The rock also will absorb the freshwater and release it back into the tank.

Hey Squintyekalb, how is everything going with the tank?

Great, actually! If anything my corals seem to more timid with life than ever before. My torch and zoas are all opened and beautiful. Everyone seems real happy with it. And the water is so clear. Will keep updating a week or two from now on params to show how it's going

Awesome!

Been about a week! Rocks are clean and clearer than ever and even more koraline and in thicker amounts too. Also you can see I've used reef epoxy to secure my rocks now. Works way better than any stupid rock glue I've ever used. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443727764.197028.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443727789.589359.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443727801.430586.jpg

I'm also still sticking with an all lights out at the moment just turned them on for the pics.

Been about a week! Rocks are clean and clearer than ever and even more koraline and in thicker amounts too. Also you can see I've used reef epoxy to secure my rocks now. Works way better than any stupid rock glue I've ever used. View attachment 278691View attachment 278692View attachment 278693

I'm also still sticking with an all lights out at the moment just turned them on for the pics.

Nice! That looks amazing! Hope everything stays that way

Sent via echolocation

Back
Top Bottom