How to Refresh a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squintyekalb

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been away for about a month and come back to find my tank in less than a desired shape. Several of my rocks are now algae colonies, my sand bed looks a little like a fresh cut lawn, my snails and cleaners are nowhere to be found, what can I do to revive or restart the life in my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I've been away for about a month and come back to find my tank in less than a desired shape. Several of my rocks are now algae colonies, my sand bed looks a little like a fresh cut lawn, my snails and cleaners are nowhere to be found, what can I do to revive or restart the life in my tank?

Got pics? I am currently doing the same thing with my tank.

Sent via echolocation

How big is the tank? Water parameters? And your zoas look fine, did you find any shells from the snails?

Sent via echolocation

The best way to refresh a tank is with frequent PWC`s. This will add needed essential elements and dilute excessive nutrients in the tank that are feeding the algae. In the meantime also try to remove as much of the algae by hand as possible. If it is on rock or tank side rubberband a toothbrush on the end of a small plastic hose and scrub with the toothbrush while siphoning the hose during PWC`s. This will help your tank to start to look like new. Remember that it did not happen over night and it wont clear up over night. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

100% water change. I did this a few months back. I removed the sand as well. My tank is great now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442927461943.jpg
    1442927461943.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 156
How big is the tank? Water parameters? And your zoas look fine, did you find any shells from the snails?

Sent via echolocation

I haven't gotten the water tested yet. It's a 30 gal Biocube and I've found several shells.

100% water change. I did this a few months back. I removed the sand as well. My tank is great now.

Did you like wash the sand ( I've heard to do that, never seen it or done it) or just completely replaced it?

I don't know what would be best. I didn't add sand back to my tank. The coraline growing on the bottom of that tank looks so much better than sand, IMO.

That's actually flake food. I had just put some in

No. I was saying, I don't have sand because the coraline on the bottom of my tank looks better than the sand I had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you have no sand, did you use coral puddy to hold the rocks to the bottom?

No, I just stacked them.

Attachments

• 1442943353915.jpg
    1442943353915.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 118
It is much easier to keep clean. I have the biocube too. I took out all the filtration and just have a protein skimmer. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, Ca 430, KH 11.2.

It is much easier to keep clean. I have the biocube too. I took out all the filtration and just have a protein skimmer. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, Ca 430, KH 11.2.

If you have 0 nitrates then the tank isn't even cycled. And I'd say you should really have a sandbed in there because the bacteria that takes all the ammonia and crap and converts it lives in there, and if you lack the sandbed, then you are making it harder on your filtration

Sent via echolocation

This tank has been running for almost a year. Fully cycled. I know someone with the same set-up going over 10 years. With a 400 gallon tank. He has clams the size of basketballs, no filtration, just live rock and protein skimmers. He has a business growing coral in a greenhouse here in ohio. www.reefsystems.com.

No sand and no filtration. Just rock and protein skimmers.

Attachments

• 1442950589452.jpg
    1442950589452.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 1442950672070.jpg
    1442950672070.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 93
Anyone have experience in rinsing or washing sand then? As I have a fairly large sand bed. But it's layered. I have about an inch of black sand and then an inch and a half of regular sand colored sand. I don't mind mixing, I just don't know how to rinse it or what rinsing is. I've only heard of it

I would think if you were to rinse it, you would do it with clean saltwater. I have never done it.

Back
Top Bottom