Hydor Theo Korilla Nano too much for 3 gal pico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if this powerhead is too much for a 3 gal pico. I have the 240gph but have not put it in the tank yet. I have a Aquaclear 20 HOB at highest flow rate, is this enough water movement? I plan on adding a clownfish in the tank but I want to add some corals as well. So far there is nothing in the tank but live rock, sand, the aquaclear and water.

Yes that power head will be way too much. The AQ20 should be enough water flow. A really good mod for the 3 gallons is getting a AQ50 or 70 and putting your AQ20 impeller in them. This gives you extra water volume to grow macro algae and keep extra LR rubble.

Also, a clownfish will be too large for that tank. A small goby like a twin spot or clown goby will be the largest you can do.

Yes that power head will be way too much. The AQ20 should be enough water flow. A really good mod for the 3 gallons is getting a AQ50 or 70 and putting your AQ20 impeller in them. This gives you extra water volume to grow macro algae and keep extra LR rubble.

Also, a clownfish will be too large for that tank. A small goby like a twin spot or clown goby will be the largest you can do.

Ok sounds good. I think I am going to just mod the AQ20 to house chaetos. There seems to be quite a few picos out there that has a false percula clownfish with no problem

Picos are a lot of fun, its a whole different community with all the mods and things you can do.

Just because people have done it, doesnt mean its right. It will also make maintenance a lot harder. The extra amount of waste will create a lot of extra nitrate and if you want to keep coral, your water changes will have to be really consistent and constant.

Its not so much the watts per gallon with that light, but the quality of the light i would be worried about. A lot of generic lights like that dont have the right wavelength and strength to sustain corals. They will often fuel algae growth because of the loose wavelength.

If you go through with it, you could probably go up to low light sps but you should work your way up to it. The higher light corals usually need more pristine water conditions.

Its not so much the watts per gallon with that light, but the quality of the light i would be worried about. A lot of generic lights like that dont have the right wavelength and strength to sustain corals. They will often fuel algae growth because of the loose wavelength.

If you go through with it, you could probably go up to low light sps but you should work your way up to it. The higher light corals usually need more pristine water conditions.

Its the same light fixture that comes with the Finnex 4 gallon tank, that is mentioned in El Fabs guide. It has the 10k daylight bulb and actinic as well as the moonlight led. I'm for sure I will build up to corals but would like a nice start on gathering equipment

I was suprised I could find the fixture that comes with a nano tank separately. I tried looking for the stock fixture that comes with the pico, and then the deco (even though it was not replaceable), and then found the Finnex clip on. I already have a tank so no need to buy a whole new kit.

There is a lot of really good information over there on LED's as well. Some people were making fixtures that could support any coral in your size tank for around 30-40$. A lot of the smaller fixtures can use a lot of things you may already have around your house if you are a DIY person. (old computer heatsinks, old laptop chargers, etc..)

With my luck the whole fixture would tumble into the tank and electrocute everything in the tank. I think its better for everyone if I just bought a fixture.

All Solved. I'm using the AC 20 and Tetra Whisper Micro's pump as a powerhead! :eek: Just took the submersible pump off the filter attachment and the added flow is great. Also adjustable if needed

pics or it didn't happen =]

The tank is kind of baron right now. Just water, but I will post pics of the in progress possibly starting monday after finals are over. I wanted to see if the pump from the Tetra Micro Filter would work. It says it can pump out 70gph, and add that to the AC20's 100 and you get a total of 170gph for a 3 gallon tank.

Attachments

• IMG00188.jpg
    IMG00188.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom