i want to start a nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah i think a 425 would be adequit, and black sand would be cool.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

ohhhh you just inspired me to do black sand :eek: so i was looking into the hydor koralia 425 pump. would this be enough? if i decided to do a 10-20 gallon?

I love the look of the black sand but it makes it so you can't use a mag float (the sand is magnetic) so scape accordingly and give yourself some extra space between the rocks and glass. The 425 would work for a 10 (2 of the 240s would be better IMO) but not the 20, you'd want 2 of them or maybe a jaebo wp10 and a k nano 240

I love the look of the black sand but it makes it so you can't use a mag float (the sand is magnetic) so scape accordingly and give yourself some extra space between the rocks and glass. The 425 would work for a 10 (2 of the 240s would be better IMO) but not the 20, you'd want 2 of them or maybe a jaebo wp10 and a k nano 240

oh thats good to know! ill keep that in mind with the black sand. thanks for being alot of help! im gonna look into the pumps u mentioned! thanks!

lexi ??

will two jaebo wp10's better for a 20 gallon? i like that they have controls. or should i just stick with one jaebo and the k nano 240 like u said originally?

lexi ??

so i think ive kinda narrowed it down, heres what itll have:

-20 gallon tank
-aquaclear power filter 110 V (or should i go with something a little stronger?)
-heater (need some suggestions)
- (2) jebao wp10
- caribsea aragonite reef sand 40lbs
- half live rock half dry 'dead' rock

as for lighting, i know eventually id like to add some low maintenance corals when i learn about them. what kind of lighting to you guys suggest? and id like to have some kind of hood or cover on my tank, or is that a bad idea for surface air purposes?

lexi ??

The ac 110 will be plenty for a 20 gallon tank. also, you will only need 1 wp10. I ran 1 in my 38 gallon cube (apx 32 gallon display) for a while and it was plenty of flow. I think 2 might be overkill in a tank that size, especially if you are just going FOWLR.

Also, I would recommend about half that amount of sand. With a deeper sand bed, you run the risk of anerobic gas pockets building up. You could go with a true deep sand bed, but really, in a tank this small, you are probably better to go with a shallow sand bed and do regular vacuming.

I personally really like the colbalt neotherm heaters, They are a little more spendy than other heaters, but are worth the price.
Depending on the fish you plan to keep, a lid is a good idea. a lot of smaller sw fish are jumpers.
A good option is to make a lid out of egg crate (find it in the lighting section at home depot). you can also make a screen top using window screen frames and clear mesh from bulkreefsupply.com. Glass tops can be used, but the glass gets dirty quick and needs lots of maintenance.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411604634.076082.jpg

so i snagged a 20 gallon tank, a thermometer, and a siphon tube all for $35 bucks on craigslist. ? winning. going to check it for leaks tomorrow. wont jynx mysef just yet. and then my 20 gal nano tank build can begin ?

lexi ??

oh and it came with a regular fluorescent light too. which i think should be ok for since its going to be a FOWLR for a while right? until i decide to add corals then id have to get different lighting.

lexi ??

Yeah that will definitely work for a fowlr, really doesn't matter until you start getting into coral

Hey im still here too. Hey keep us posted, im also quite interested as to what the future will bring for that tank, feel free to show us lots of pictures. On another note, i think i fire fish would be cool for your tank.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

okay i have a quick question. i decided on the korlia 425 powerhead. should i get 2 of them? im about to place the order now online

lexi ??

Back
Top Bottom