i want to start a nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexistayla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
sooo id really love to start a nano salt water tank. i hear mixed reviews on how its harder to keep a smaller sw tank, but due to lack of space in my small new york apartment, its the only way possible for me right now. i currently have a 26 cichlid tank, and a regular 10 gallon fresh water community tank. i want my nano tank to be 10 gallon. ive been doing research and stalking the nano forum. im starting from rock bottom. so if anyone can give me any beginner tips id really appreciate it.

lexi ??

Take it slowly.

You will have a limited selection of fish so be careful to choose wisely.

Read through all the nano builds and see the success and failures. Learn from others mistakes!

I've had a ten gallon sw for 3 years now :) be diligent with your water changes, and be very careful not to overfeed/overstock and you'll be fine. It's not as difficult as most people are led to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks guys! how many fish and what types of fish would be suitable for a 10 gallon? and how do you guys feel about FOWLR ? corals can be intimidating ?

lexi ??

im getting ahead of myself lol, before i even get into stocking the tank, i need to pick a tank ! are these nuvo's and biocubes worth the money?

lexi ??

Nuvos are deffinately way better than biocubes, but nuvos can be a LOT more expensive but they also come with more customizeablity. Biocubes also look like crap compared to the nuvos, they are very asthetically pleasing, plus lighting is better. Decide wisely. As for tips, just remember that patience is key.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Live rock will help your water cycle and deliver the benoficial bacteria it needs, and dead rock will basically be just for decoration. It will develop that bacteria, so i would suggest buying half live rock half dead rock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All rock will become live through out the cycle, the only difference is cost and the possibility of hitch hikers

Yeah like what BigRedsReefs10 said, live rock can be quite a bit more expensive usually standing at about 8 us dollars a pound.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

hmm i like the half and half idea. how about sand? is it necessary to get live sand?

lexi ??

so any kind of sand? and how about hardware? im gonna try and do maybe a 15 gallon at most. pumps? protein skimmers? filters? brand and size recommendations? sorry, told ya. im really starting from the bottom here

lexi ??

so any kind of sand? and how about hardware? im gonna try and do maybe a 15 gallon at most. pumps? protein skimmers? filters? brand and size recommendations? sorry, told ya. im really starting from the bottom here

lexi ??

not to sure on what sand is best, the other guys and gals here will tell you.
need a powerhead, and an aquaclear to run media through if you want. you dont really need a protein skimmer.

what kind of powerhead is strong enough for a 15 gallon?

lexi ??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410970090.314861.jpg

so i was looking into this aqueon 15 gallon column deluxe aquarium kit. is it cruel for the fish to have a tall tank?

lexi ??

View attachment 250230

so i was looking into this aqueon 15 gallon column deluxe aquarium kit. is it cruel for the fish to have a tall tank?

lexi ����

I have this tank now it looks awesome but is very hard for light to get to the bottom because it is tall. If you are doing FOWLER this will not be much of a problem I think.

Here is a link to my tank build...low cost and budget but with corals.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums13960-picture66839.jpg

I have snails all kinds, a Clown Goby, and 2 young Saddleback Clowns which will be moving into another tank, and a Scooter Blenny, and a few little Hermits Crabs.

Last edited:
I have this tank now it looks awesome but is very hard for light to get to the bottom because it is tall. If you are doing FOWLER this will not be much of a problem I think.

Here is a link to my tank build...low cost and budget but with corals.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums13960-picture66839.jpg

I have snails all kinds, a Clown Goby, and 2 young Saddleback Clowns which will be moving into another tank, and a Scooter Blenny, and a few little Hermits Crabs.

wow that does look awesome. but i see what you mean about the light not hitting the bottom. i dont want to limit myself to just fowlr. since im new i might become a coral addict and start adding some once i know enough about keeping them :angel: is a HOB filter necessary?

Back
Top Bottom