Ick problems and UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulr

Aquarium Advice Activist
So had an ICK issue. Two meltdowns which was awesome. So just lost everything and realize I need to wait. I can do a water change but someone recommended a UV sterilizer. Running a biocube 29 and did see one. Is this needed or suggestions to get rid of the ick before adding fish again?

So had an ICK issue. Two meltdowns which was awesome. So just lost everything and realize I need to wait. I can do a water change but someone recommended a UV sterilizer. Running a biocube 29 and did see one. Is this needed or suggestions to get rid of the ick before adding fish again?

The UV is only useful if the bacteria is in it's dormant stage, if it has already established itself and there are visible signs then it will not help. If your not planted and have no fish, I would jack up the temperature in your tank to the 90's if that's even possible. Also, add salt. I would do 50% water changes the next 3-4 days. Then once you've eliminated the Ich add the UV.

I have snails and coral. Is it ok to be that hot with them in there?

How much salt are we talking? At 1.024 now.

Heat won't do anything for saltwater ich. Leave the temp where it's at and your only option is to leave the tank fishless for 8-10 weeks to allow the ich to die off. Then, you can begin adding fish again. But remember to quarantine this time!! As long as there are no fish, the ich will die since there's no host. Even though you have inverts

I think the previous poster mistook this for a freshwater question.

Heat won't do anything for saltwater ich. Leave the temp where it's at and your only option is to leave the tank fishless for 8-10 weeks to allow the ich to die off. Then, you can begin adding fish again. But remember to quarantine this time!! As long as there are no fish, the ich will die since there's no host. Even though you have inverts

I think the previous poster mistook this for a freshwater question.

I apologize sincerely, did not realize this was the reef section. Sorry OP, but my advice about UV's stands.

Leave my salinity at about 1.024? Seen post where they say go higher and others lower.

Leave my salinity at about 1.024? Seen post where they say go higher and others lower.

leave it where it's at. A higher salinity doesn't help, and a lower salinity (below 1.01) is only good if you have fish infected with ich and it must be done in qt. since you have no fish, you have to leave your tank without fish for 8-10 weeks to allow the ich to die off on its own.

You don't have fish in the tank, right?

No fish now. Have my tank at 80 which was suggested to raise it a little. Prob going to change the water since it just happened. Is it ok to add any coral?

No fish now. Have my tank at 80 which was suggested to raise it a little. Prob going to change the water since it just happened. Is it ok to add any coral?

Yeah you can add coral and inverts any time, but wait 8-10 weeks before adding more fish. The uv sterilizer will help kill the free floating ich, but you'll still have to wait the same time frame

What it is. Rather wait then kill more fish and waste money!! Appreciate the help!!

Guy i know said earlier that i should take the tank down and beach it. Seems kind of extreme????

Its not gonna help really. Youd have to get new rock and sand and toss your corals. Anything wet in the tank has ich.

Back
Top Bottom