Ideas For Frag Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr86mister

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well my BioCube has been filling up nicely with corals and some are starting to outgrow my tank. So I was sitting around the other day and thought to myself, I think I can make some money off of these frags so why don't I start a frag tank. I got some information together and this is what I believe I'm going to start with.

For Basic Aquarium Needs
1-10 Gallon Glass Aquarium
1-20" Incandescent Hood
2-20w Coralife 50/50 Bulbs
1-Aquaclear 150/30 Filter
1-50w Heater

Frag Setup
1-Charlotte PVC Pipe 3/4 In.x10 Feet Plain White (this leaves me with extra piping just in case)
1-Egg Crate 18inx48in (plenty extra Egg Crate there as well)
1-Super Glue Gel

My plans are to have different levels of Egg Crate for different types of Coral. I do know that I only have about 4wpg for my tank so I will most likely stick with soft corals. I am going to glue the PVC piping that I had already cut down to size to the Egg Crate to keep a stable platform.

A Few Questions:
Should I glue the PVC Piping to the bottom of the tank?
Should I leave the bottom of the tank bare?
What are good soft corals that are easy to frag and are quick growers?

Thanks Everyone!:D
Mike

What corals do you have in your tank right now that are out growing it?

Personally I would not try and make a frag tank out of a 10g tank. The small water volume can allow for drastic changes in temp, sg and ph. Frag systems are usually fairly large and have excellent flow and good lighting. If you are wanting to grow mushrooms and things like that then the 10 could work but you will have to keep a close eye on daily top offs to keep your SG from going up.

I just see a lot of work for such a small frag system.

Thanks Ziggy!

Right now the Kenyan Tree Coral is growing like weeds along with the pulsing xenia. The mushroom toadstool i was told i can cut it however i'd like and take roughly 1/2 inch thick pieces, glue them to live rock and they will grow from that. I am looking for more of a challenge being my BioCube is getting sort of boring, the darn MTS i have. No room for larger tanks just a small frag.

Just curious but what LFS do you go to up there. I went to Liverpool High School and honestly can't remember very many pet stores in the CNY area.

I go Fairmount Aquarium for the majority of my corals. Ack's Exotic pets for a few other types of corals and for my snakes. Then Petland out in Cicero for random things for my freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom