ideas on cleaning gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 12 G nano, just finished a cycle....how can I clean the gravel..not sure I want to disturb it. I have added a CUC from Reef Cleaners. Will tis help with the gravel? If I need to vacume can I get a suggestion on what to use, seeing I have a sand bed

I wouldn't worry about it. The CUC you bought from ReefCleaners should take care of most of it over time. What kind of substrate do you have? Legit gravel like in FW tank? Or crushed coral?

I wouldnt bother it either. If you have problem spots, you can spot suck.

I do run my hose over the gravel to get loose poo and such. Rarely is there much.

Ehhh. Any chance you can change? CC acumulates detrius and your snails and such can't get it so you end up with a tonne of nitrates. If you can swap and go buy some dry argonite sand. That's want you want. :)

I do have sand not crushed coral I believe I. Mixed it #3 with#0 I think thar is why I cannot sweep it to easy because it comes up in the siphon

I have those in my tank. A bunch, I have alot of "dusty" algea on the sand did not know if they would take care of th top as well as below

How many fish do you have in the tank?

Do you have a refugium of any type on the tank?

I am assuming you use RO/DI water, correct?

Distilled water, one clown(so far) assorted cuc, a few assorted soft corals. Tank is actually looking pretty good this am. Bought a orange coral yesterday. Now I see 2 very small, what I assume are bristle stars. It's like getting a unexpected present. will post a pic later.

You're going to be going through all sorts of problems until the tank is really established. My tank is now a little over a year old and I can FINALLY sit back and enjoy my tank.

When I first started I wanted the best looking reef that day, but patience kicked in and I realized that it was going to be a struggle in the beginning.

I should post a new picture of my tank soon.

I have a 29 gallon bio cube. If you look at my profile I have some pictures of when I first started and what it was last month.

Good luck.

Yes I use distilled water I have sand sifting snails. Probably to many. It is just below the sand line. I think it is left over from the cycle. Can I push the sand away and scrub?

Back
Top Bottom