I'm Back.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys, its been a while. Hope everyones well. I took a break for a while but I'm back now with a few things that are set to change.

First though I'm gonna bring everyone up to speed.

The tank was doing great. No worries. Then I lost all three fish in a month and heard the dreaded 'click-click' of doom. The little mantis took all my fish. I've been hearing him for ages but I think he just finally got big enough to take them down. I though he was a pistol shrimp the whole time.
Then the algae rolled in. And I mean tonnes. Its been a long trying battle that I'm ready to concede. Thats basically the story.

Now what I'm doing is downsizing into a 6g. I'm keeping my favourite corals and my clam and then everything else is going to the shop. My brother is taking my tank for breeding.

So I'm back for a while now, to showcase my build and to help anyone who needs it again, but atm I need a bit of help guys. I need to know what you think of the stuff I'm going to buy for my tank to keep it going. Heres a list of the stuff:
Age of Aquariums - Hydor Koralia Nano 900
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals API RENA SmartFilter Aquarium Hang On Filter 20 - The Aquarium Shop Australia
Rena SmartFilter Filter Media Phos Zorb Cartridge - The Aquarium Shop Australia

I'm going to keep my T5HO's and rig up a little fan.

I also have a few questions;
1) How many lbs of LR will I need? (6G tank)
2) Will it need cycling if I only get new sand and take the good mature LR from my old tank?
3) What does everyone think?

Great to be back guys. :D

Hey I am new and don't know if this is right but is your tank a fluval edge by any change? Mines the same 6g and I have 2.5kg of live rock. It still needs to cycle but it won't take as long with live rock!!

Welcome back!!

well about 1-1.5lbs LR if itll fit ( not much room in a 6G)

yeah itll still need to cycle but youll probably see a small one if you see one at all

and i think its great! im a big fan of nanos so ill be lurking this one as long as you keep it updated!

as for equipment everything looks good, im no good with conversions but if the koralia is the 240Gph (i see that one is in L) then it should be plenty, the 425GPH may be overkill

Thanks guys good to be back. I've decided not to use my old rock. The lfs has good quality lr for sale that's not too expensive. And what's a fluval edge? Haha

It's a very nano tank :p meant for tropical really but lots of people have converted them to marine!

Oh nah. Just a nice glass thing thats been used for goldfish by my brother. It's 45cm L x 22 D x 25 H.

Good size for light loving corals, as this is gonna be a invert tank with my T5HO fixture providing the light.

Mitch, how are you going to fit a 50# clam in a 6g tank? LOL
should be fun..............

I have pictures!!! :D

Got the tank today, cleaned it up a bit. There's some scratches so I've chosen the best side.

In all of the photos the ruler is 6inches. Just to give you an idea of size.

Just a quick FTS from an above angle.
IMG_0002.jpg

Tank depth from front glass to back.
IMG_0004.jpg

Tank height from bottom to top.
IMG_0005.jpg

And tank length.
IMG_0006.jpg

I just ordered my supplies for the tank.
I got the Aquaclear 50 which I will probably mod to make a fuge. If I need more flow I'll buy the Koralia Nano.
I finally picked up a refractometer! :D
And a heater and some various test kits I didn't have.

I'm gonna get down to the LFS asap to see if they sell RODI water still and buy some 20L buckets from the hardware for storing RO water and fresh salt mix.
Once my stuff arrives I'll buy LR and get this baby going. :D

Its now a totally rimless tank. I took off the little black supports for a glass/acrylic lid and it looks much better already.

So with the tank prepped and ready to go and me just waiting on supplies I've begun to think about the scape.

I've been hunting around on a few different places on the net and have seen some great ideas. One that I really liked was a barebottom with GSP being grown over the bottom glass to act as a carpet/grass. I think this would be great in a few ways.
1) It will look fab haha.
2) Any junk falling to the bottom gets taken care of.

I'll find the link and post it here later.

My other ideas include a kind of ridge or rock or canyon (maybe) or an island/mountain/lagoon combo.

Anyone else got some good ideas?

Found a picture of the tank but not the thread yet.

ANYWAY, for your viewing pleasure:
10gfts1121409.jpg

This tank was designed for a competition on Nano-Reef.com. I'll try and find the thread, it was quite interesting.

Bonsai scapes have been around for a little while now in saltwater. Just google it and you'll find heaps of examples.

And GSP grows ridicuously fast.

I saw that thread on N-R. He stopped updating a while ago tho.. :/

Just be sure to have a razorblade on hand to cut back the GSP because it will want to grow on just about everything, including the sides of your tank lol. Not just the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom