I'm having a very bad hair algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Collatos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having a very bad hair algae problem. It's been happening for about 2 months. I take the rocks out scrub off all the algae when it gets this bad. But I've done that like 3 times in the past 2 months. I changed my lights. I only have 2 fish, a watchman goby and a sharknose goby. All my levels are normal. I do weekly water changes. I even put in a phosphate reducer and nothing is changing. I haven't been over feeding bc I have a fire shrimp who eats up the scraps and I only really feed them every other day in order to avoid over feeding. I don't dose it a lot. My corals are all doing great, I have tons of coraline algae growing, I just can't get this hair algae to quit! My tank is only a 14g biocube so I know small changes can make big changes in the water but I havent added anything or been doing anything diff than I have when I started it.
I'd love any advice!

My tank

Attachments

• image-1748695688.jpg
    image-1748695688.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 142
Holy crud!!!!

Ok, not to worry! When did you last change out your bulbs? That could be the problem!

Also, i suggest going out and buying Turbo snails!! Mine cleNed my tank of hair algae quickly, so that would be a good investment

I bought 2. they didn't do anything. I also bought a emerald crab. And she laid eggs and then died later. I changed my lights last month bc I thought that could be the issue I use R/O water for everything too.

I will go ahead and ask since someone will eventually. What are your parameters?

navaljonf said:
I will go ahead and ask since someone will eventually. What are your parameters?

Yes good question, what are they? Exact numbers currently? I would not be surprised at a 0 reading for nitrates and phosphates with that much algae. The nutrients are bound in the algae.

You need to start by scrubbing the rocks and doing a large waterchange. Running GFO will help during this process, running it in a reactor will give best and quickest results. Removing any algae as it grows it very important. This is not a quick fix could take weeks or months to get the nutrients down. During this time, recheck your feeding, possibly cut back a little and do weekly 20% changes until the hair stops coming back. Adding turbos will help with the process once the algae becomes more manageable.

I had pretty bad algae too but wasn't as bad as yours. I had two emerald crabs and two turbos and with some time they got rid of everything. I also cut back my light. Only had it on for 5 hrs a day.

Do you have a powerhead in the tank? Hair algae tends to not like high flow areas and it looks like you have NO flow in the tank. That with regular water changes should help but it will take some time.

Yes I have a power head, and yes it has a lot
Of flow. And I do weekly changes!

Hahaha thanks! I've cut back my lighting to even less hours a day, am going to buy another crab and 3 more snails. Maybe another hermit crab too? I haven't dosed in weeks. I have 1 coco worm and a feather duster, should I not add phytoplankton for a while? I only did once a week before.

Could ya do a black out for a day or two? I did that after my cycle for 3 days and bam algae was gone.

Cutting back lighting is not a cure for algae problems. Your not fighting the algae your fighting the nutrients. Know your enemy.

Addition of a reactor with GFO, check the TDS readings on your RO/DI or wherever you get it, reduce lighting schedule/intensity, and removal. I had crabs and snails, but I didn't make a dent in removal until I got an algae blenny. He'll put a hurt on that algae.

Aren't they too big for a 14g? Will he eat te hair algae?

A black out wouldn't be a cure but could it not slow the growth a bit so the OP can get a chance to get water conditions under control? Ive seen some people on here say its not really a solution to add more algae eaters seeing as how they also contribute to nutrient issues via the poop shoot!!! Lol just offering some suggestions cause that is some serious hair algae...

Back
Top Bottom