is my powerhead too strong for a 10g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovepercs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone, i have a 10 gallon saltwater tank that i started about 1 month ago, i added my first fish today(a false percula) and it looked like it was struggling to swim, and its was kind of tipping over. Is it from the flow of the powerhead? even though they were on opposite sides of the tank. Im not sure if its too strong though because this is my first saltwater tank and maybe it just seems like it to me. ill post a picture so you can see how my tank looks. also my powerhead is a maxi jet 400

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 105
I am reading that the Maxi Jet 400 moves about 110 gph which is roughly 11x your water volume. This should be sufficient for your tank to keep a nice flow going. I would move it up towards the top of the tank and see if that helps your clown out. What type of substrate are you using?

That looks to be a maxijet pro, which I believe to be 500 gph if configured to do so. I would think It's a bit much. You could reconfigure it to be the 110gph power head however.

im using a crushed coral substrate, and i fixed the problem yesterday :D i had it on the wrong setting:ermm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom