isopods...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got a suspicion that i had some and i turned on my light in the middle of the night to confirm and yes, i have some, the bad kinds. around 3 larger ones in the 28 gal and a ton of little ones in the 3 gal. what to do?
Thanks!

Any chance you can get a picture of them? They are kinda rare to begin with but in the numbers you are speaking of, I've never heard of before. Have you seen any on your fish or just scampering around the live rock?

Any chance you can get a picture of them? They are kinda rare to begin with but in the numbers you are speaking of, I've never heard of before. Have you seen any on your fish or just scampering around the live rock?
no pic's, but from xtalworld.com, they look just like the 1 in the pic but many more. also there are other ones that might be a different type of pod or something that look similar but almost more like a brine shrimp with legs and no tail. maybe different stages of their life or something?

right off the bat i found around 15 and with a little closer inspection i found at least 5 more, all in the 3 gal, mostly on the glass and some on the rocks. i've only seen about 3 adults which are at least around 5 times larger and have almost a curled around tail. never seen any on any fish, but all of the rock was in the big tank at one point or another so the isopods could be anywhere.

...and have almost a curled around tail...

My guess is that you're seeing amphipods - not isopods. Isopods have no "tail" that you can see. Amphipods look like a cross between a flea and a shrimp, with hooked tails.

I've had isopods before, and the fact you're seeing them on the glass also tells me they're probably not isopods. I've never heard of them (or seen them) hanging out on glass.

If they ARE isopods, they can easily be siphoned off during water changes. They're fast... but pretty dumb.

Here's what mine looked like...

dsc04742-1-med.jpg

... but they're all gone now! :D

k thx! idk what exactly i have but i know i have whatever the picture on xtalworld.com calls isopods from the picture. exactly those.the other ones are probably other pods.

I'm a newbie and I had tons of "pods".... I was really nervous they cause I "thought" they looked like ISOpods... however they all turned out to be amphipods.

Kurts description of a shrimp with a hooked tail is exactly on. I had hundreds of them all over the place... The ISOpods are infamous for their eyes, which are really black and big.

Anyhow, My tank was about 3months old when I started seeing them... Now I hardly see them at all. Amphipods are actually good - not sure why you would want to get rid of them.

If they are ISOpods -- sorry, I dont know how to get rid of them.... people were talking about upside down coke bottles... i got lost lol

Oh, and the Amhipods I had were just all over... glass, sand, in and out of rocks etc.. They would pick up the food granules I threw in and run back into the rock with them lol

i know that this isnt normal but the things i have look exactally like some pic's ive seen of them. and i do know about copeopods and have tons everywhere in my 28. and the other ones in the 28 probably are amphiopods. but the 3 gallon i still am not 100% on yet.

Well that is definitely an ISO... sorry, I have no answers for you.

update: i think that i have re-identifyed them as amphiopods, there are too many legs to be an iso. so when i saw this, i isolated a pod and discovered that they were curled tails but they were so tiny that it looked like they didnt have one. but now hat they are further into their life im pretty sure that my first id was wrong. (sry pplz just couldnt see one of em big enough until now) and thanks for evry1 that helped! phew. sigh of relief.

Back
Top Bottom