journy to sw nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could i get a pair of ocellaris (false perc) clowns it suggests nothing less than 20 for a pair but they only get 3in and liveaquaria.com has them under their nano fish section help please?:confused:

Even if you build it up gradually, start with some LR when you first fill it with water. Add sand after all the rock is in place and you've done your aquascaping.

It's some type of sand. IMO try Estes reef sand, from bigalsonline.com. It's like $3 for 5lbs. I ordered 25lbs of the stuff and got free shipping from them

iDreamInSaltwater said:
It's some type of sand. IMO try Estes reef sand, from bigalsonline.com. It's like $3 for 5lbs. I ordered 25lbs of the stuff and got free shipping from them

will do should i do sand the put lr or lr then sand

Aragonite is just your typical calcium-based sand that most people use. Live sand is just aragonite that is "live" and bagged. There are plenty of debates on whether or not it is live anyway. Place your rock on the glass first and then add the sand. This will help avoid any rocks slipping and breaking the glass if something burrows under the rocks. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
^What he said.

For Liveaquaria the clowns that are in the nano section are tank-bred, which people seem to think are better suited for smaller tanks, never knew the logic on that. Call me crazy but if all you're gonna have is the pair then you'll be fine.

iDreamInSaltwater said:
^What he said.

For Liveaquaria the clowns that are in the nano section are tank-bred, which people seem to think are better suited for smaller tanks, never knew the logic on that. Call me crazy but if all you're gonna have is the pair then you'll be fine.

its hard because theres so many conflicting articles from a single must be housed in at least 20 to a pair must be kept in 40 or only one can be in a 15 its difficult but by next week i should be redy to order the base rock

after I'm done leak testing should i leave water in or dump it it's gna be a good 2-3weeks before i can even order base rock

Dump it out. If you leave the water in there for that long it will get stagnant and start to smell bad.

Leave it in for another week to just be sure no leaks occur since you don't need to do anything with it for a while, then you can dump it and give it another quick rinse with a water and or water/vinegar mix.

ok will leave in for week my onlt question is the rock do i buy the self cut per lb or prime cut per lb both those would be roughly 33 total or do i get the nano sized for 42 bucks i dont want to but if i have to il try

Depends on what size they are. With a 10g, you will want a few medium sized pieces to serve as a base along with a bunch of small (fist sized)pieces. Hard to find something to compare a medium sized piece with to describe what I'm suggesting, maybe a tad bigger than your average brick. Make sure you grab a small piece or a few pieces of live rock rubble to help seed the base rock with algae and some smaller hitchhikers (Make sure they are free of aiptasia and flatworms before you toss them in). I would try to find a local fish store or a larger pet chain such as PetSmart or PetLand so you can actually see what pieces you can get and visualize how they will scape together before you get them.

thominil said:
Depends on what size they are. With a 10g, you will want a few medium sized pieces to serve as a base along with a bunch of small (fist sized)pieces. Hard to find something to compare a medium sized piece with to describe what I'm suggesting, maybe a tad bigger than your average brick. Make sure you grab a small piece or a few pieces of live rock rubble to help seed the base rock with algae and some smaller hitchhikers (Make sure they are free of aiptasia and flatworms before you toss them in). I would try to find a local fish store or a larger pet chain such as PetSmart or PetLand so you can actually see what pieces you can get and visualize how they will scape together before you get them.

thers a petsmart 20 min away they have a small sw livestock area il call n ask if thy have lr i think im gona buy 5lb prime ccut 5lb shelf cut n kinda break em into shapes i want n then buy 1-3lb lr rubble fromarcos or a lfs when i have my sand heater filter etc

That sounds good, besides the amount (lbs) really the rock is how you want it to look. I unfortunately let the guy pick my pieces and I got a bunch of dense, large, and not very usable pieces to 'scape with. When I move I plan to break them up to nice pieces, but if I ever get rock from a store I'll definitely pick out my own pieces.

The best way to do it is have an idea of what you want it to look like in mine, and email them to explain and get the pieces in the sizes and quantities you want

Back
Top Bottom