journy to sw nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys picked up my 10g gna leak test should i wash it?

should i rag it down with vvinigar? and also am i gnna need a protein skimmer? i have lots of questions espicily as this thread progresses

anyone?? i have so many questions

You don't need to do anything to it now, but before you use it, just give it a quick rinse and scrub with a vinegar and water solution. You will not need a protein skimmer on that size of tank since your simple weekly water change will accomplish the same thing.

Yet again, it's up to you. A sump/fuge wouldn't hurt since it would add more water volume to the tank, and thus giving you a little more room to lessen parameter fluctuations if you make a mistake here or there. Again, as long as you keep up on water changes, you won't need one.

Not really needed since you will have live rock with it being a reef. Live rock will be your main source of biological filtration, although an HOB wouldn't be a bad idea for extra security and the ability to run inserts in the filter.

thominil said:
Not really needed since you will have live rock with it being a reef. Live rock will be your main source of biological filtration, although an HOB wouldn't be a bad idea for extra security and the ability to run inserts in the filter.

i allways likke the extra security factor plus im useing all base rockk or atleast 99% base

im thiinkiin of usein PFS all my.lfs has is crushed poka or puka shell substrate and its nt exatly attractive so im thinkkin PFS ive read up on it but still nt sure what to look for

Never had any experience with PFS on the salty side. It is made of silica, and diatoms feed off of silicates, but I don't know if those have any relation at all. Have to wait for someone more experienced to comment, will be a new thing for me to learn as well. Most people generally go for dry aragonite sand, if you ever see a bag of that, grab it.

will do i dont miind paying for the special stuff sence the tanks so small i only need 3-4lb sand bed im trying to buy as mmuch in store to avoid those shipping prices there ridiculous i tell you

Petsmart should carry just plain old dry aragonite, or even bagged live sand. Ask about it, sometimes they will have it stashed in a random place such as the reptile section or an isle end.

thominil said:
Petsmart should carry just plain old dry aragonite, or even bagged live sand. Ask about it, sometimes they will have it stashed in a random place such as the reptile section or an isle end.

what is aragonite? and i dont think liive sand is a good option right now becausr im piecing it together over a number of weeks

Back
Top Bottom