Just getting started.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

l3lumarlin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just moved into a condo (the first place I've ever owned) and I have decided that I'm ready to have an aquarium again. My parents had an aquarium when I was younger and I had one back in the day but never as complex as the setup I am starting now.

So far I have only purchased my tanks. I grabbed a 20 gallon long 30x12x12 for my main tank which fits perfectly into my shelving and I like how it is shorter so I can look in through the top of the tank when I'm up close. I also picked up a 29 gallon for my sump tank. The local fish store wanted $200 for a 20 gallon with plexi glued into it for a make shift sump. I know I can make the same thing for 1/2 the price.

The guy working at the store said that 4 24" 24w T-5 bulbs will be enough to keep some maxima clams alive in my tank but another guy who overheard me talking to him said that I would need at least a 150w HQI bulb. I'm worried that a 150w HQI will be to much light for such a shallow tank. the lamp will be mounted about 4 inches above the tank.

I'll try to post some pictures and keep my progress updated but I could really use some input on what lighting would be optimal for my tank! Thanks!

What kinda corals are you interested in? And you want a maxima for sure?

I hear good things about T-5 lighting, so you might want to stay in that arena an upgrade from those 24w bulbs you were recommended. Knowing what corals you unlimately want will drive your purchase.

What kinda corals are you interested in? And you want a maxima for sure?

I hear good things about T-5 lighting, so you might want to stay in that arena an upgrade from those 24w bulbs you were recommended. Knowing what corals you unlimately want will drive your purchase.

I havent decided on to many things i want in my tank yet but I do want a tridacna clam to be the center piece. The 24w bulbs are the high output wattage for the 24" fixture. I'll have 4 bulbs sitting right in the center of the tank with only about 10 inches of water. The lamp will be about 5 inches over the waterline. Since the tank is 30 inches long I will place any coral I get that doesn't require as much light towards the edges. (I'll be setting my live rock up in a way that no coral will be sitting in the dark)

I just got home from the LFS and picked up my skimmer and my sock filters. I haven't decided on a pump yet but from what I've read a 250gph pump should do me just fine. I'm going to be drilling the tank and putting a 1" overflow and a 1/2" return line. I'm going to lowes now to get everything I need to build my baffles. Unless someone says otherwise I'll be building my fuge like this:

29 gallon tank (30x12x18) from left to right.

5x12 intake/skimmer area, 1/4"x12"x12" baffle, fuge with 4" of gavel (maybe mud/gravel mix I've read contradicting things on mud haven't decided yet) measuring 16x12, 3 baffle bubble catcher consisting of 3 1/4"x12x12 baffles with center one offset by 2" spaced 1" apart. leaving about 6"x12" area for my return pump tank.

Once that is all finished all make all my measurements for pipes and drilling. (since both tanks are 30x12 and will be sitting one on top of the other I'll probably just do straight pipes with shut off valves to make my life easier.

Thanks for the welcome... I'll try to take as many pictures as possible!

Where is the sump going to be located? Because when choosing a return pump, you will need to factor in the head loss, which is the amount of water the pump can push upwards. Let's say your tank is 4ft from the ground, and your sump is on the floor, your pump will need to be able to push water up a hose that is 4ft in length.

But since you really sound like you know what your doing, maybe you already know about head loss. Just make sure you get a strong enough pump. Also don't forget to factor in the amount of 90degree elbows that you might have in the return plumbing.

If needed, here's a head loss calculator that will tell you how strong of a pump you will need, depending on the plumbing being used, and how high the main tank sits above ground level.

Head Loss

I just ordered a 265gph pump, the return is a3 foot 1/2" straight pipe that splits into 2 loc-line 12" 1/2" with flare nossels. This should result in around 200gph... hopefully! For drainage I'm going with a 1.5" with a 9" screen off an elbow. For lighting I went with a 24"x4 24w tek lighting so i can have control of 2 sets of bulbs. They had a cheaper fixture but you could only turn on all 4 at once. For lights i went with : Giesemann PowerChrome 1x Midday, 1x Aqua Flora, 2x Actinic+ and a LED Moon Strip. I'll do a sunrise, day, sunset, night cycle program running the big boys only for about 7-8 hours and cycling in the Actinics and LEDS for dusk, dawn, night lighting.

I really can't wait til I get it all together :)

Just got 3 of the 4 baffles in place, letting the center baffle cure overnight before removing the spacer from under it (don't want gravity to win over curing silicone) and tomorrow I'll put the last one in.

200$ for a 20g sump of any kind is pretty steep... unless it came with everything under the sun...

200$ for a 20g sump of any kind is pretty steep... unless it came with everything under the sun...

It was just a 20 gallon long with 4 baffles glued into it. I managed to do the same with a 29 gallon for $80. Everything just arrived in the mail on monday for the build, drilling the tank on saturday , then I'll post a build thread.

You can build a small sump for so much cheaper!i have a 20g tank with no sump and my growth is amazing and water quality is very good. I wish you the best of luck and would love to see some pics

Back
Top Bottom