Just how feasible is a FO 29 gallon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know, I know, bigger is ALWAYS better. But, I just spent a ton of money on a new 125 gallon African cichlid tank (turned out real nice), and don't have any extra money laying around. So, I do have a 29 gallon. I've heard that 29 gallon is the SMALLEST you should try, so, how feasible is it? With a small amount of live rock, more base rock, a good HOB filter, a HOB skimmer like the Prizm, a powerhead for water movement, and 3 small fish. Maybe a damsel, a clown, and a goby. I'd like to get into saltwater, and this would be a good 'entry point' for me, especially given the financial situation at the moment. If there's a good chance it will 'work', I'd like to give it a try, but if it's doomed to failure, I wouldn't bother. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!:)

I have a 29 gallon FOWLR tank and it's going great! I know people say Bigger is always better and it is the truth, but like you I had a 29 gallon lying around and my wallet would only permit a 29gal. so I went for it!

My setup includes, 53lbs. of Live Rock, 60lbs of aragonite sand, 2 Maxi-jet 900 Powerheads, and the "Eclipse system 3 Lighting and filtration hood" ... I replaced the normal florescents with a 10000k and a blue actinic bulb and it looks excellent!

I will tell you though that after 6 months of my FOWLR tank I got the "Reef" itch, and now wish I had just went ahead with the extra lighting and better filtration (wet/dry)! I settled and bought a JBJ Nanocube to scratch my "reef" itch!

Good Luck
Jermz

Nope no skimmer. I haven't had any problems to this day and my tank has been running for 6 months now!! I thought about getting one, but the money prohibits me!!

although .... I forgot to say, some people will say you need one and some will say you don't! It goes for a lot of things in this hobby! :D

Do you just use tap water, run a ro/di unit, or buy ro/di water from a fish store?

I buy RO/DI from my LFS for something like 10cents a gallon or whatever! Not real expensive, and I've started keeping 5 gallons on hand. I do a 5gal. change every 2 weeks and thats it really! I don't run the BIO-wheel in the filter only LR rubble and some filter floss! Every now and then I throw in some carbon for a week or 2.

There is some pics somewhere around here ... I'll see if I can find them!

Jermz

20 20 said:
With a small amount of live rock, more base rock, a good HOB filter, a HOB skimmer like the Prizm, a powerhead for water movement, and 3 small fish. Maybe a damsel, a clown, and a goby. I'd like to get into saltwater, and this would be a good 'entry point' for me, especially given the financial situation at the moment. If there's a good chance it will 'work', I'd like to give it a try, but if it's doomed to failure, I wouldn't bother. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!:)

A 29g is a decent sized SW tank, if you'd like. If you want to start with fish only, I suggest that you not dive into the damsel route. Say no to damsels. :lol:

You can put some small SW fish in a 29G. I suggest you get a fairly cheap but good lighting. In that way, you can keep an anemone for a couple of clowns to host. You may even get some shrimp or crab. Just don't get any predatorial fish (Box fish, triggers, puffers) that will eat your crustaceans.

HOBs will work well for you. My suggestion is, if you are setting up a 29G tank, make sure you determine the population that (a) can fit in your 29G, (b) that will not eat inverts, just in case you experiment on invert specimen, and (c) is not a DAMSEL. :lol:

Buy a bag of Instant Ocean salt good for 55Gallons of water. Then whenever you want to water change, get a 5G bucket, put a powerhead in there, add the right amount of salt 8O and let it run for a day. You don't have to buy gallons of water from the LFS. RO water is an ideal water, but you can do without it. Tap or filtered water is fine. As long as you condition and salt it.

Thanks for the replies! I just spent the lunch hour (well, hour and a half) at a lfs which has some very nice salt water fish, just to feed my 'bug'.

Hahaha! Be careful with the SW Hobby, you will end up either taking your lunch time for it or coming home late over it. Just browsing the fish is addicting! At least for a good 6 months from startup. :eek:

I'd say try to be patient and wait for the $$ for a larger tank. Not that the 29g won't be fantastic. It's just that once the bug hits you, you'll wish for more fish, more coral, and better lighting IMO.

Good luck!

Well, I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico...

Er, wait....

I just spent a bunch of money by setting up a 125 gallon African cichlid tank, and have no spare money for a large saltwater tank, and won't for quite a while. So, I've already got a 29 gallon tank, stand, and light hood, so, that's all I'll be able to do for quite a while. I'm SURE I'll want to do more/bigger tanks, but I'm just gonna have to control myself! 8O

Forget it MTS will set in and it's all down hill from there! Looks like we may need more straight jackets than we first thought!!! 20 20 what size are you going to need? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jermz79 said:
Forget it MTS will set in

What do you mean, 'will'? Change that to 'has' set in. Of course, like I said, it's all about self control. 8O Ugh.

Well, not 'self' control. More like 'spousal' control. You know...

"Hell NO, you're not going to spend money setting up another tank!!!". :mrgreen:

I know exactly what you mean man trust me ... I have to sneak new corals in the tank and when she say's "hey where'd that come from?" ... I just shrug and say I don't know must have grown from the rocks!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jermz79 said:
I know exactly what you mean man trust me ... I have to sneak new corals in the tank and when she say's "hey where'd that come from?" ... I just shrug and say I don't know must have grown from the rocks!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehe, gonna have to remember THAT excuse! Not sure if she'll go for fish growing from rocks, though, since this is a FO tank...

I don't know what's with girlfriends/wives and fish tanks. Like, it is so painful for them to see a $30 fish swimming around the tank. But ALL of these fishtank-hating women spend at least $500 at the mall or outlet. I mean, who are they kidding? They'll stuff the trunks of their cars with stuff that they shop for in hopes of hiding it from their male partners. Then before you know it, your closet space is no more while her closet space doubled. And they always have this excuse of "well I am returning these anyways". Yeah right, they return those items and buy twice as much. So predictable

Anyways, back to fishtanks. Don't regret money you spend in fish tanks. Studies have shown that fish tanks are therapeutic. It makes us relax. Put your foot down and buy, regardless of her feelings. Theyr shopaholic hobby isn't rewarding. It stresses them out even more because it reminds them of how unattractive they are once they try out clothes.

I have a 29 gallon, and mine has been running for almost a year. I have a filter rated for a 50 gallon tank, and a skimmer for 100 gallons running my tank. I have four fish the two clowns, and two jawfish inhabit the tank. I have had no problems with nitrates or ammonia with the exception of cycling the tank. Basically what I have is listed below if you want to know.

As far as fish go; you have a huge list of possibilities to choose from. I would stay away from damsels or any predatory fish for that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom