Khuligirl's 20 long nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually was just on that site haha. Prices are awesome! I just wish I could find out what shipping is. That's the thing that'll be the deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow that's a great deal! I'll definitely order from him when I'm ready to add my CUC :) anyone have experience with this site and know how likely DOAs are?
Someone mentioned earlier that the reason you add a CUC first is to clean any algae that grew during the cycle. Well I am cycling my tank without a light.. Should I still add a CUC first?

You'll get triple what you order so any DOAs are usually freebies

Wow. I'm so excited guys ???. I want my cycle to hurry up! Haha

I've has bumblebee snails and they did nothing. They are also known to eat other snails.

Have you looked into cardinals?

Yes, we get Bangaiis and Pajamas in at work, but I don't find either of them extremely attractive.

I didn't either but I feel like they grow on you. Now I really want a trio in my upgrade. :p

How does this stock list sound? (In order of addition as well)
-clown goby
-shrimp & goby pair (species undecided)
-bicolor blenny
-clown pair

I think if I have to choose between the royal gramma or the bicolor blenny, I'd choose the blenny even though the gramma is beautiful. They just have so much personality and they make me laugh :) today at work I was watching one eat algae, and he went along eating a few bites and then froze all of a sudden and looked at me, like he was irritated that I was watching him. And in one swift movement he swam away into his hiding hole and poked his head out to keep an eye on me haha:)

That sounds good! Just remember to keep up with water changes, add slowly, and feed lightly and you should be good to go :)

Well I'm thinking I won't see either of the gobies very often because the clown goby is so tiny, and the other will be in his burrow.
I just wanted something decent sized to swim around actively besides the clowns, any better ideas than the bicolor blenny? Or maybe just a single clown?

I think 5 in a 20 long is definitely do able, assuming you space out the additions over ~6-9 months to give the system time to mature.

IME I think it's doable as long as what I previously mentioned is followed. I've got five fish, 2 of which don't belong in my 20 and are there temporarily until i get my upgrade wet, and I have no issues whatsoever. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate 0s across the board. No algae issues either. I don't run a skimmer or any other form of nutrient export except weekly 25% water changes. I've also got a mixed reef, that is leaning more toward the sps side, that is thriving. Although, I don't condone what I'm doing as it is temporary for 3 months at the most.

Considering all 5 fish mentioned are suitable for the tank size, 3 of which aren't even big open swimmers, I think there shouldn't be a problem.

Just my opinion though :)

I'd stock it very slowly. Maybe 1 fish every 3 months to let the tank mature. The only exception being when you stock the 2 clowns

Alright, I can do that.
Do corals count for the one every 3 months rule?

Back
Top Bottom