Khuligirl's 20 long nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're both very very tiny. The bubble algae is the size of the tip of a pen and is inside an indention in the rock. Definitely couldn't get it out without puncturing it. And the aptasia is almost microscopic. I only saw them because I had my face right in front of the tank with the bright new light on.
Well from what I've been reading, sounds like low nutrients and WCs should take care of them. The tank it came from had high nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How does this stock list sound?
Bicolor blenny- LOVE these guys. So funny:)
Clown goby
Neon blue goby
Fire fish (possibly a clownfish instead?)

CUC:
1 halloween hermit
1 red hermit
1 blue hermit
1 small nessarius snail
2 Astraea snails
2 nerite snails
1 bumble bee snail
1 lettuce sea slug

This weekend I think I might get one of the tiny gobys and a couple of the snails or hermits :)

I won't get all of the CUC at once, but add a couple every once in a while as my tank matures.

As for corals- I think I'll wait until I see the first fish and inverts are doing well before I start to add them. But I love zoanthids, acans, and ricordias.

Oh ok, well I'm not paying $100 for a fish anyway lol. Especially one online with $50 shipping tagged on the end.
Anyone have any feedback on my potential stock list?

looks fine to me, you could even do a pair of clowns IMO (wouldn't go over 5 though) since 2 of the fish have pretty low bio loads, just space out the entries over time so your tank can mature and establish itself in between each addition.

Cool:) I'll think about the clowns.. For some reason I'm only drawn towards the meanest ones lol

if you have a few local friends with either saltwater or fresh pool together for a big enough order where shipping is free live aquara is $225min order
saltwater fish has different min order rates some as low as $99
both are with free shipping
there are others too but i just dont feel up to writing a book lol

Wow that's a great idea Seaweed!

Guess whaaaat! Today I got 6 snails (2 ceriths, 2 Astraea and 2 nerites), 4 tiny crabs (2 blue and 2 red), and 2 zoanthids frags :D one for $5 and one for $10.
Corals are still opening up, but here they are.
This one was $10
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...1-6BC0-4ABB-A63B-4311B8688848_zpsgg4yi9ec.jpg
And this one was $5
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...F-80A5-42DB-93F8-D96879033D0F_zpstg6x0p5m.jpg

And this little guy thinks he's going to escape lol. Good thing my lid is nice and tight:)
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...6-A5F2-480B-83CD-7CCB9BB5583F_zpsjzijezwa.jpg

Thanks! I'm so excited:)))) I've been patiently waiting for this day.
The corals seem to have pieces of sand stuck to them, do you think they can be safely pulled off? Also one of the frag plugs has some hair algae strands on it. What should I do about that?

Take the frag out and scrub the algae off. The sand isn't a big deal though

I'm beginning to think maybe I should iodine dip the corals. There are little pods crawling all over them, and some polyps are staying closed. One polyp has a little section of what appears to be dead tissue- it's white.
I read a post on another forum where someone uses CVS brand iodine to dip their corals- any thoughts on that?

I love revive! It's a great dip, and unlike iodide, this smells like pinsole haha :)

Does that also get parasites off?

I use revive and like it. The only thing to make it past it were red bugs but you don't have to worry about those until you keep acropora.

OP - I know it's only been a few weeks since you've started your adventure into the SW side...just wondering: How would you compare it to FW tank keeping? I know there is a boatload of research to do upfront. And the inhabitants are much less forgiving with fluctuations. Understandably, FW can have its challenges as well (high tech planted, discus, etc). Maintenance wise, a lot more work?

Well so far it's been pretty easy, but I don't think I can give a very good answer since I haven't even gotten fish or done a real WC yet :)

Back
Top Bottom