Khuligirl's 20 long nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well so far it's been pretty easy, but I don't think I can give a very good answer since I haven't even gotten fish or done a real WC yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alrighty. I'll check back later. Thanks!

Ive had my nano running for couple months now. Id say its just about has hard to keep as my 125 piranha tank.(3 weekly %25 WC) . If you like the hobby, its more fun than anything. :)

Sent from my C6730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Following. I'm thinking about a nano reef myself and this maybe my how to guide. Good luck and great job so far.

OP - I know it's only been a few weeks since you've started your adventure into the SW side...just wondering: How would you compare it to FW tank keeping? I know there is a boatload of research to do upfront. And the inhabitants are much less forgiving with fluctuations. Understandably, FW can have its challenges as well (high tech planted, discus, etc). Maintenance wise, a lot more work?

Honestly I think the maintenance is easier, its just a matter of making the water salty honestly. Weekly maintenance on my 10g includes using a turkey baster 2-3 times a week to blow off the rocks (10 minutes total maybe), weekly wc of 25%/filter cleaning (15 minutes, maybe 20), clean the glass as required (2-3 times a week for a total of maybe 5 minutes) and clean the power heads monthly (this can take some time if they're covered in coralline, up to an hour), for a total of ~5 hours a month. Which is about the same as my 29g fw where I do weekly 50% changes/gravel vacs, which takes me about an hour.

3 water changes a week thats a bit overkill

They are pretty messy eaters. don't want to let goldfish rot in the tank.. anyway, my anemone is moving around the tank like crazy. Lol

They are pretty messy eaters. don't want to let goldfish rot in the tank.. anyway, my anemone is moving around the tank like crazy. Lol

You know that's a sign of a water quality or lighting issue 99% of the time right? And if it's in the nano that's been running for a couple months, it's not surprising, they need much more mature/stable systems.

Yeah, I figured as much. it was an impulse buy that my girlfriend kind of forced upon me. it was around $10 so if its a loss, ill just chalk it up.

EDIT: it was suppose to say 2 weekly water changes. Not 3. I thought you were the one with the typo.. >.>

My sw tank is so much less work than my fresh lol.

My sw tank is so much less work than my fresh lol.

SW is a little different for me. I've always cycled with goldfish. And the water tests? Oh lawdy, never done so many in such a short time. LOL.

You cycle saltwater with goldfish? Do they survive in saltwater?

You cycle saltwater with goldfish? Do they survive in saltwater?

No, thats how im saying its different. Ive always done it that way with fresh. Never did the whole table shrimp thing.

Ooh ok. Yea I cycled mine with the table shrimp for the first time with this tank and with my live rock and seeded filter media it worked surprisingly fast :)

Hey everyone, what are your favorite places online to order fish? I'd love to hear about your experiences including how many times you've ordered from places, and what shipping cost :)

Picture time :)
FTS (since I added new rock last weekend) I don't really have much of an aquascape I know, but I don't think I have many options in my size tank, and I like how this gives lots of hiding places for fish.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...5-75FE-48A5-975F-6DA7F2FF6B8E_zpsg8h8wtqq.jpg

Corals under actinics. I wish my phone camera could capture what they really look like.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...6-B619-4E42-8AE0-741624556664_zpsbid8a13i.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...3-B713-4547-BDBA-E53F0C1E3FFA_zpsifwrfzzb.jpg

Little red legged hermit:)
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...8-9957-4A2C-9C14-1996C0D19A3D_zpsgjwgyjzt.jpg

Nerite and bristleworm
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...F-84D8-4CFD-8188-9C5B183E073E_zpsskygkrb5.jpg

I still vote for the 2 island look. If done right it should give lot's of hiding spots while keeping the tank open and clean.

I don't really know how to do that with the rocks I have- just make 2 piles?, but I can give it a try next time I have some time to play around with it.

That's pretty much it. Keep playing around with them until you find something you like. The possibilities are endless.

Some thing kinda like this is a 2 island look, but with your extra length you can spread them out, or even do 3 small ones

Back
Top Bottom