Kyles 29 gal reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my list of suplies I have on my list so far

-2 aqueon circulation pumps
- heater obviously
- crushed coral
- 20 more pounds of live rock

Now my question is my lighting and my sump. First of all my lighting I have a marineland double bright but I might want to do corals later on so I was looking at the zoomed t5s but then that's another 60 bucks which one should I use. Second for my sump it's going to be a 10 gallon sump with an overflow(here's a pic of my design) I will be using 1 inch PVC how many gph is that and how many gph pump should I use on the return I've done reasearch but its all diferent. So if Somone could help me out that would be great.

Attachments

• image-1838142065.jpg
    image-1838142065.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 124
Your drain needs to be rated higher than your return pump. A 1 inch hole can drain anywhere from 300-1000 GPH depending on the siphon.

Are you using an HOB overflow? If so, it will tell you what it is rated at.

As far as lighting, look at the taotronics units on ebay if you are looking to save cost. It would do far better for you than a marineland double bright, and the price is right.

I made a PVC 1 inch overflow what would that be. And my lighting I already have the double brights I had them on my cichlid tank but I took it of. Could I use them for now and get better lights when I want corals.

It depends on how your overflow is setup. If you want corals, you will want to upgrade the light but just to light a FOWLR tank that will be fine.

Also, in your drawing, what are you planning for your sump? Are you planning to add a skimmer? A refugium? An auto top off? Any other equipment? It will be tough to get a lot of equipment into a 10 gallon sump. If you can go bigger I would recommend it. Mine is a 20 long and I wish it was bigger...

I'm just planning to put a protien skimmer in later on for now just a refugium

What kind of coral do you want to keep? I think this would be fine for softies and zoas, mushrooms, things of that sort. I am not so sure it would work for SPS and LPS corals. You might want to wait on a second opinion for that.

First off, let me give you my experiences with sumps.

I built a 20gallon sump for my 30 gallon tank. One of the best purchase I made for my tank, also one if the most fun to make. I would change some things though. If you can.. DRILL THE TANK. External overflows are a pain in the butt and are the main reason your tank will flood. After that, make sure you have enough room for the skimmer you want if you go that route. You really should build the sump around the skimmer for optimal results. Then think about your return. It shouldn't be too powerful or you will wear out the pump because of the restriction on it. Buy a well known pump or you may have issues. Any of the mag series is good IME. (I use a mag 5). A nice thing to have on the return is a u-return. It will act as a directional power head in your tank and looks sleek. Hope that gives you some guidance, just my 2 cents :)

Ok well I really don't want to drill the tank because I don't have the right bit for it. Also I probably will just get a HOB protien skimmer something under 100 dollars. How much is that pump you recommended. Thanks for the help

Elykreefs97 said:
Ok well I really don't want to drill the tank because I don't have the right bit for it. Also I probably will just get a HOB protien skimmer something under 100 dollars. How much is that pump you recommended. Thanks for the help

I thought the same thing. You will want an in sump skimmer whenever you get in to the hobby. I bought a CPR hob skimmer which worked fine for a little while. The mag 5 was 60$ I believe. Idk for sure though.

Ok but I'm just going to have some beginner corals I have 2 mushrooms in my 10 gallon now and they are fine there is no protien skimmer so I'll just get somthing cheap for now and later I'll get a better one. I also had my anenome in there fine until it crawled Into my pump.

That is more of a CuC then I have in my 57. CuC's aren't a requirement, so I would say there is no "not enough".

So could I just get that package to start with and then get more as the weeks move on. Also I think contantly about my fish I only want one or two more fish right now I have a maroon clown a yellow tail damsel and a orchard dottyback I was thinking about a flame angel or six line wrasse or a goby paired with a shrimp.

You could get that package, but depending in how new your tank is, You might not have enough algae to keep all of those things alive. Might have to drop in an algae wafer now and then until your tank gets more algae. :)

I have an extreme amount of algea in my 10 gal I've been trying to get rid of this blue green Cyanobacteria since my cycle ended I tried weekly 50 percent water changes I even lowerd my salinity down to 1.023 and that got rid of some of the growth but before it would grow back within an hour.

Attachments

• image-2326577429.jpg
    image-2326577429.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom