Light period

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverhawk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Heres a duh ? For ya... What is the time length for lighting..? I have a led unit and i think im leaving on 20000 k lights to long..12+ hours daily..i can switch to the blue lights only( marineland reef capable w/20000k white and 420 or 460 nn acitinic... I noticed im getting algae growth where i had none with t5s..params were checked...all good... :)

Heres a duh ? For ya... What is the time length for lighting..? I have a led unit and i think im leaving on 20000 k lights to long..12+ hours daily..i can switch to the blue lights only( marineland reef capable w/20000k white and 420 or 460 nn acitinic... I noticed im getting algae growth where i had none with t5s..params were checked...all good... :)

Lights are on too long, try 9 hours a day and see how that works, 12+ hours IMO is way too long, theres your algae power.

9 hours of total light or 9 hours plus acitinic...i figured leaving pn too long but wasnt sure how much too long..;)

9 hours of total light or 9 hours plus acitinic...i figured leaving pn too long but wasnt sure how much too long..;)

You can turn your actinics on at say 8-9am then your daylights with actinics at 10am, daylights off at 6-7pm actinics of at say 9pm then moonlights. 9 hours of daylight should be fine.

So basically the blues are on for 12 hours the whites for 9..the whites cause the algae growth...:)

So basically the blues are on for 12 hours the whites for 9..the whites cause the algae growth...:)

Both can cause algae. You can turn your blues on at 11am and turn them off at 9pm. I actually made a mistake when writing that sorry.

My lights all go off by 8pm then just moon lights.

The days don't come on until 11am but the blues start coming on at 7am. I have a digital controller and my light slowly ramps up from 7am to noon when it's at it's highest. Then after 2pm it slowly ramps back down.

Let the natural light enter the room first for a good amount of time then have the blues come on. It won't be such a shock to the fish. Not sure of you ever did this but I have. Turn all the lights on at once in the dark and BAM!! They jump and scatter. There not very happy.

Hope this is more clear...

Last edited:
Ok..that makes more sense.....all off in 9 hrs..i have a light i use as a moonlight... Though the 8-9am turnon makes difficult..im up at 4am and out of house at 6am... I have the original marineland reef led(new ones have a built in timer...):)

Ok..that makes more sense.....all off in 9 hrs..i have a light i use as a moonlight... Though the 8-9am turnon makes difficult..im up at 4am and out of house at 6am... I have the original marineland reef led(new ones have a built in timer...):)

Yea I saw that now have a timer. Can you purchase times for them or is it that one toggle switch?

One toggle switch:( but i get off 3 pm most days so itll get switched over on time;)

Back
Top Bottom