Lighting: 14G Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laniloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

Currently I am using the stock lighting:
  • 48 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lighting
  • 1 - 24w 10,000K Lamp
  • 1 - 24w Actinic 03 Lamp
I would like to one day host a GBT anemone - but wasn't sure if this was adequate lighting for a 14 Gallon Biocube.

Suggestions?

From what I know about anemones (which isn't much), I'd have to say no on 2 accounts....

First of all, I don't think that you have enough light for an anemone, given that you're using the stock lighting. You could always mod your lighting, but you'd likely either find that your tank runs too hot, or you'd have to run it open top with a light over it. That's what I gather from reading about mods that people have done to the Cube.

Second of all, I've been advised by several folks that an anemone isn't really the best choice for a nano system. They tend to move around until they find a spot that they deem suitable, and in tight quarters such as a nano tank your corals are likely to get in the way (i.e. stung). Also, it is best to introduce one to an established system, from what I understand.

Sorry to bring you the bad news.:(

FWIW, I've seen clowns hosting lots of different coral/inverts (I'm guessing that is why you are interested in the nem). The ones I've seen seem to like some lps such as frogspawn, torch, hammer, etc. I've even seen some clowns host feather dusters (the dusters seem to get used to it after a while)! :)

Oh no worries!!! That's why I asked :) One day I'll have a bigger tank, so I'll give it a go then.

Thanks for the coral suggestions - I might give that a shot!

Okay...I play devil's addvocate here. I have had a RBTA in my JBJ 12gal nano for a couple of years. IT has the same 48watt CF lighting. It has even split once...so now I have two in there. They live side by side and have not wondered or bothered anything in the tank. That said, the anemone I put in my nano was a clone from my larger reef. Captive cloned BTAs tend to do a bit better in captivity. Most importantly, you should wait several months (8-12) before you consider adding an anemone to any system.

LOL, I stand corrected!:)

I'd love to see some pics of your Nanocube, since you mentioned that it's been established for at least a couple of years. I can't wait until mine gets to that point.

Back
Top Bottom