Lighting for 5.5 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not real well. For a 5g look at coral compulsion's par30(lps and softies) or par38(sps) and a $10 architects lamp from Walmart

Not real well. For a 5g look at coral compulsion's par30(lps and softies) or par38(sps) and a $10 architects lamp from Walmart

I agree... Not enough for pretty much any corals, especially in the long term. +1 par LEDs though. Good luck!

I have that light on a fluval chi 5g and I didn't expect much out of it when I got it. Haven't tried anything with it besides low light stuff but it sure has grown some GSP, xenia, yellow button polyps, mushrooms, and zoas. They've been doing well for over a year now.

I have that light on a fluval chi 5g and I didn't expect much out of it when I got it. Haven't tried anything with it besides low light stuff but it sure has grown some GSP, xenia, yellow button polyps, mushrooms, and zoas. They've been doing well for over a year now.

Cool! You learn something new everyday. Still though, I would probably look for a par bulb in the same price range, just so to keep lps and sps. But if you're just doing softies it sounds like the light works great!

If you wanna keep anything light intensive at all, definitely get the par38, I was just saying that it will for sure do the easy stuff well.

That same wavepoint light also comes in a 16 watt version. :) That should be enough for a 5.5 g tank.

That same wavepoint light also comes in a 16 watt version. :) That should be enough for a 5.5 g tank.

Do you think it would fit on the short side of a JBJ pico? I have a hob fuge that takes up the whole back side of mine, so there's not much extra room for lights/filter.

Dont think it will fit, the 16watt is 12 inches wide.

In a 5.5g I dont really understand why you would have a fuge....lol The water changes can be done with a large cup and can be done so frequently that a fuge shouldnt be needed.

Dont think it will fit, the 16watt is 12 inches wide.

In a 5.5g I dont really understand why you would have a fuge....lol The water changes can be done with a large cup and can be done so frequently that a fuge shouldnt be needed.

It's 3g, and really I just use it for growing chaeto and using purigen. Not really for adding more water volume, as I just use a plastic cup for WCs.

Wow! $10.00. You still need a power supply and mount though, right? I don't have any experience with strip leds... but this looks pretty good to me.

Did a little research on these and I highly doubt the will support any coral. I believe Carey's right, there accents or for fowlr tanks. I find it skeptical that the seller doesn't say how many watts the LEDs are, or run at, what spectrum the LEDs are, or which LEDs are being used. Far as I can tell the only thing that makes these "coral reef" lights is that there water proof. A coral compulsion par bulb will probably be the cheapest/easiest way to light this tank, and they mount to any standard lamp socket

Did a little research on these and I highly doubt the will support any coral. I believe Carey's right, there accents or for fowlr tanks. I find it skeptical that the seller doesn't say how many watts the LEDs are, or run at, what spectrum the LEDs are, or which LEDs are being used. Far as I can tell the only thing that makes these "coral reef" lights is that there water proof. A coral compulsion par bulb will probably be the cheapest/easiest way to light this tank, and they mount to any standard lamp socket

Yeah, that makes sense. If I ever move into leds I'll probably just get a par bulb. But these still might be cool as accents, especially if you like blue light!

I'm not sure... It's 18w which is pretty good, but most lights like this seem sketchy to me. On a 5.5, I would definitely get either a par bulb or maybe 2/3 9w jbj picotope fixtures. Anyone have another opinion?

I agree! I actually did go for a lower cost solution on my tank, which was doubling my lighting to 18w by buying another stock light. But for a 5.5g, I think the coral compulsion bulb will really be perfect, especially when you compare $ to the corals you can keep with it.

Back
Top Bottom