Lighting for a small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hydrohoki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 5 gallon salt water tank. Is there such thing as too much light? I want to put a small power compact on it, would that be appropriate?

Thanks!

Depends on what you want to do with it. If your new to keeping SW aquariums, I would not recommend you start with such a small unstable environment, rather set your sights a little higher, until you gain some experience. To answer your question directly...yes there is such a thing as too much light, and alot of what qualifies will depend on the husbandry of the tank.

I've been keeping 10 and 5 gallon fish only salt water aquariums for about 3 years. Though I am very limited in what I can keep, I really enjoy the small tanks. (I move around so larger tanks aren't an option for me). I was thinking of adding some polyps or maybe an anemone to my tank with a clownfish till it gets too big (once they get big I send them to my friends large aquarium). All I've used so far are 50/50 fluorescent lighting.

As long as you are not planning on heavily light dependant corals the >>2x9w Aqualight<< is quite good. I use it on my 5 gal mini reef. Primarily soft corals, shrooms and zoathuds. If I can find one small enough, I will also be trying a sand dwelling LPS.

A 5 gal tank is far too small for any type of hosting anemone though. I would also urge caution on the types of fish you add (if any) I would not suggest more than one and if a clown I would go with a single Ocellaris.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks!

I think I'm going to go with a few polyps and an ocellaris and see what happens. I'm particularly fond of a cleaner shrimp I have, do you think that would be too much for the 5? I've been hesitant to try it. I keep extremely close tabs on the chemistry of the tanks, but I don't want to risk these little guys unless I think I can do it.

By the way this is one of the most helpful and nicest sites for saltwater help I have come across. Thanks!

I kept a blood cleaner in mine for almost a year with a sharknose goby before I needed to switch things around. You should have no problem with one invert like that in the tank. If anything it will help keep the cleanliness up a bit better.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom