lighting upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon tank with 20 lbs live rock, 2 PHs and a nano-skimmer, right now I just have a 15 watt 10000K bulb on it so it's FOWLR at the moment. Was contemplating upgrading the lights; for a 20" tank I think there are 36 watt PC bulbs that would fit. Not sure what the rules of thumb for watts per gallon are for the various corals; (I'm a FW plant person mostly!)....if I got this lighting what kinds of corals could I grow? I'd be looking for less demanding corals. The other inhabitants of the tank are 2 feather dusters, some Astraea snails and a 6 line wrasse.

That looks good....if you have a canopy or plan to make one, you could go with the 96 watt quad.....It is only 85$ at hellolights.com....I have it an have been very happy with it!

And as far as intensity, you can keep almost anything you want, I even keep an SPS frag in my tank!

So a single 36 or 40 watt bulb wouldn't cut it for any corals? I'm not looking for the world's best nano-reef here, just want to try a few easy species. I'm worried about heat as my apt is warm already, and I don't want to have to keep adding equipment.

I wouldn't keep anything under a single 36 or 40 watt bulb. It's one of thsoe things were you may be able to get away with it, but your species will be much happier with more light.

I have the Coralife 96 watt 50/50 over my 10 gallon, and the temp does flucuate about 4-5 degrees over the course of the day, but I love it.

http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

Just my opinion.

I have the same light......I am extremely happy with it.....cheap and powerful!

Like I said I keep SPS in my tank!

Get a 10 or 12mm computer fan for 10$ at Circuit City, splice the wires to a 12v AC adapter(old cordless phone, ect) It has solved all my heat issues with this light...I have it 1 inch above the water, and my tank is a steady 78.5 day and night!.....My corals are doing much better now that I have steadied my temp fluctuations!

I would not reccomend a single bulb......it isnt that much cheaper than just buying the Coralife fixture.....how much are those single bulbs?...like 40$ I think!

Ok, thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to wait a while anyway, but if I do upgrade I'll probably go with the 2x40 watt setup. I'm too busy right now to give the tank the time it would need, but once the winter really sets in and I'm stuck inside.... plus I was drooling over a 16 gallon bowfront the other day so who knows what I'll do in the next couple of months!

if you did get the 2-40 watt set up, which bulbs would you get?

I just got that for our tank I do like it ... I may down the bulbs to 36 watts , now I am running 1 acitinic and one 50/50 and like the darker look .
The bulbs are personal choice as long as you go 10k or better you should be fine

i like the blue look of the actinics, could you do both actinics and be fine?

I personally would not I am doing 3/4 acitinic but I think full would be detramental to corals

I think the light in question comes with 1-40 watt actinic and 1-40 watt 10000K

it infact does but I am using a 50/50 and acitnic bulb to make it "bluer"

anyone have suggestions for a cheaper alternative than the fixture we are all talkin about from dr. foster?

I wouldn't go with all actinic lighting, like Sadielynn said. The corals need different spectrum lighting to be happy. Actinic doesn't provide but a small portion of it. I use two 50/50 lights on my 29 gallon and am happy with the way it looks.

I agree. Actinics really do nothing to promote coral growth. They bring a more balanced visual light to the tank. Mot corals prefer bulbs n the 5700K to 8600K range for optimal growth (so does algae). However, providing this spectrum would give a very yellow to white look to the tank. Actinics boost the blue a bit so its more pleasing to the eye.

lando said:
I agree. Actinics really do nothing to promote coral growth. .
This is not entirely true they do benifit corals , as it is a bit more penetration to the depths of the water ... There are areas with corals that get primaryly the blue spectrums and have corals growing there . This is not to say that you should run only acitinic lighting but that it does benifit them ..

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/Feature.htm
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98063
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature2

Ahh, the good ol actinic debate. ;)

I believe they do little, and that's what most studies say. The fact though is that actinics are nothing without white light to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom