Lime green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftfunnative

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey friends, need some advice. Tank has been running for 6 weeks, cycled, and I got my first fish last week and a few corals. I now have this very light lime green algae on on the rocks. Is that normal and part of a new tank? I also have red algae growing and what I believe to be coralline algae as well. Thanks for any help.

is the lime green algae hard, soft mushy, etc? a pic def helps! The red algae is prob cyano. What water are you using?

I'll get picks tomorrow, kid is in the room sleeping.

There is no substance to the algae, the rocks just look light green.

I started the tank with tap, but sense then I have been using RO water.

if its hard its green corralline so good stuff. I'd be upping your WC schedule for a few weeks to get the good RODI water in there and the tap out;)

no worries bro, be ready for the ugly brown algae coming soon to your tank, diatoms, then followed by others. May as well read up on cyano, pineapple sponges, pods, aiptasia, mejano's, spiorbid worms etc.. lol. Not to sound scary, just those are prob the next stages you'll see in the next few months. WElcome to reefing, lol. Always a new thing to learn.

So here are some pics. You can look in the sand and see some coral that has turn light green as well.

image-1670422231.jpg

image-2167819822.jpg

image-1640661671.jpg

image-3181809121.jpg

Water changes and a good cuc. Get some snails and some hermits. Like Cosmo said though, get ready for brown algae. How are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Yep, going to up my water changes to once a week now. Seems little most people I have talked with that have successful nanos are doing that. I was doing them every 10 days.

My nitrates and phosphates are 0. CUC are in place and working hard.

Bring on the brown!

Back
Top Bottom