little puffs of something coming out of rock, what is it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napydred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey, so i bought some live rock on friday, today i have noticed little explosions of what looks like dust (spores?) out of a certain area of the rock, this has happened a few times in the past half hour, any ideas what is puffing these little spores or whatever out? its coming out of the rock,
img_707012_0_bc0ea20ca30e0ec1708929fac1a5742d.jpg

i've noticed some worm like things that have long grey/white tubes and come out the end lookin like feathery mushroom or dandelions, a few other little things, i must say there seems to be a lot of living stuff in and on the rock itself, i guess i know why they call it live rock now, thx for help so far, BTW i moved my hydrometer to the other side of the tank away from the filter/pump and the SG went up to almost in the red, i got some distilled water and was gonna put some clean water in to buffer out the SG, anyone disagree with this idea to bring the SG down?

No, sounds like your hydrometer is pretty...malcuntioning. SG doesn't change throughout the tank, unless you just did a water change or something immediatley beforehand?

I would invest in a refractometer. I have found the hydro to be difficult to get a decent reading. I believe they should be about 5inches below the surface of the water, away from the current. I also had problems trying to clean it when algae got in there, and I am sure that threw off the readings even more.
You could do a PWC to get the salinity down. Just make it lower than the tank's.

Back
Top Bottom