Looking to build a 10g nano reef help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbradley672

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok....
This will be my first venture with saltwater and I need advice on what to do I already know I have to change the lights on the lid and I'm planning on retrofitting the lid but not with what.

What should I get I also know a powerhead but not what I'm gonna need. I need all around advice.

Time frames ect.
I'm getting sand and pre mixed water next week from my lfs

What kind of sand does everyone recommend how much lr just for starters

Thanks everyone

slightly larger than sugar sized sand. 1-1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon, depending on it's porous-ness (the more porous rock means more surface area, which means you need less of it).
time frames? about a month after you add the rock to when you can add a few living things. you will need to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to find out when it's safe to add living creatures. no detectable ammonia or nitrite is what you are aiming for.
as far as powerheads go, i guess i would start with a maxijet 1200 for a 10 gallon tank and go from there.

Articles
Read through our articles section. I would suggest at least 2 weeks of through research into exactly what you need to be doing. I would also suggest you size up your tank if at all possible, SW tanks are different from FW in that smaller tanks are in fact much harder then large ones. Unfortunately, there is no "quick start" or "jumping in" to SW. Do some research and feel free to ask any questions you have along the way.
Welcome to AA and good luck!

At the beginning, I would treat exactly as I would a regular aquarium. Take your time. I am guessing that the backside of the tank has some space for Bioballs? Make sure to give some time for the good bacteria to develop before putting any live stock in the water, after adding live sand ( at least two weeks). Make sure that you have no amonia nitrate or nitrite before adding live stock. Slowly add you fish. In a 10 Gallon tank, you typically do not have much room, so be careful not to overpopulate.... Good luck

I'm going to build a 12 gallon nano reef in about... 4 years =P Lol i haven't even gotten my first fish yet! But when I do I'm going to catch a few small profiled fish from the wild for it. Shrimp too =D I live right off the shore in florida. Going in the ocean is an every other weekend thing. I know and recognize an incredible amount of reeffisH...omg i need 5o shut myself up now im just bragging rofl. Anyways, I feel really excited for your new tank! I don't know much about aquarium reefs (thats why in this section; researching) but a great nano reef fish is a Trimma Goby. They only require a couple gallons, so a nice 10 gallon nano would be perfect. Research them, they are awesome. It also looks great.

Back
Top Bottom