Lost a damsel fish to hermit crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning, my happy Chromis fish was missing, looked and found two hermits eating him :(
On Thursday, we had a planned power outage on our street, so had the tank off for 6 hours. Could that have killed or made him sick ? My other fish; 6 line Wrasse, and FireFish Goby look good , eating and active.

I did have a lot of algae and see none, now-25% pwc the day before the power outage. Could hermits be hungry? Two are eating the fish, three are crawling around the sand and rocks.
Paramaters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates=0.00
Salinity=1.025
Ph=7.4
I did notice this morning temp. Was lower than my normal reading=74
Turned heater up a bit, and water is getting warmer.

The hermits didn't kill the fish. They are eating him because he already died. They are doing their job by cleaning him up.

PH is also a little low.

I've been wondering if I am feeding them enough? I split frozen cubes into about 7 to 8 parts and feed them once a day with one of the parts. Three fish, 5 hermits, five snails to Emerald crabs in a 29 gallon biocube. Also 2 zoa frags, and a mushroom and a torch coral.

InTank media basket, stock pump.
PWC every Monday-or Tuesday , 25%

Tank is cycled: 10 weeks old, fish added one at a time two weeks apart.
Chromis was my oldest tank fish.

Really? Okay. I had them in a larger tank for way longer than I wanted and it was old style; no live rock, hang on simple filters, and an underground filter with weak for the size tank power heads.

Back
Top Bottom