MJ's 20 gal build :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my heater on with the lights and I got the heater set so the warmth of the light makes the tank temp at 79 then drops to about 76 of a night will this harm my tank?

Would be better if it stayed close to the same. When the lights are on I doubt the heater runs much at all. At night one of two things are happening. Either the heater is set too low so it doesn't come on until the temp drops to 76 and only stays on until it comes up a degree or so, or, it is coming on at the right temp but just can't keep up. If the second is true, you would need a heater with a higher wattage. If the first is true just turn it up a bit.

The heater came with no instructions and is part of the tank made by same company, why does the heater only come on when the temp drops? I thought if I set the heater higher then my tank would get hotter in the day?

Mjpendrey said:
The heater came with no instructions and is part of the tank made by same company, why does the heater only come on when the temp drops? I thought if I set the heater higher then my tank would get hotter in the day?

It should have built in thermostat if it is set for say 78 it would come on at 77 and turn off at 78 or so. Ghettoes if the lights heat the tank to 78 it would not come on but at night when the temp starts to drop it would come on and try to keep the temp between 77 and 78. If it is too small it could run all night but just not keep up.

Since it came with the tank I would bet it just needs to be turned up. There should be a dial or knob that would let you do that.

Ok new drama! Water level dropped it was at 1.24 sg topped back up with regular RO water and it is now 1.21 sg I thought I was supposed to top up with RO water!? Confused!

Mjpendrey said:
Ok new drama! Water level dropped it was at 1.24 sg topped back up with regular RO water and it is now 1.21 sg I thought I was supposed to top up with RO water!? Confused!

I hope you meant 1.024 LOL. When water evaporates it leaves the salt behind but when you take water out for tests or PWCs you are taking the salt with the water. Therefore "people" say fresh for top offs and salt water for PWCs. I disagree. Test salinity first. If it is high use fresh to bring it down. If it is low use a higher specific gravity SW to bring it up. If it is where you want it use water with the same specific gravity to keep it the the same. Bottom line you want the water to be consistently between 1.024 and 1.026. Consistent is more important than the actual level within reason.

Let's see some pics. :). You have been sooooooooo patient. :)

Thanks again, pics are problem ATM the new iPhone 4s refuses to upload them and I'm too lazy to get out the camera lol. Patience is wearing thin now! I want some life in there!! Lol

LOL Don't give up on the patience. It is your friend. :) I still have an older iPhone but some have said if you update the AA software it fixes the problem.

Great I can get my live rock now, just need to find the time to get to LFS. May wait till Monday as I'm throwing a massive Halloween party this weekend :)

Great I can get my live rock now, just need to find the time to get to LFS. May wait till Monday as I'm throwing a massive Halloween party this weekend :)

What time should I be there? Keep in mind the commute from GA in the USA is a bit long so I may need to use the couch. (y)

rdnelson99 said:
Good, then I won't have to pack anything extra. I can come as I am. LOL

Hahaha :') That one never gets old on me. So, MJ can you still not post a picture? Have you got your temperature stable now? Mine is a bit up and down as well. I just have to keep the water level up really high otherwise the heater at the back isn't fully submerged, which I think is the cause.

Yeah I didn't realis id have to top off everyday! I have it stable it still drops at night but not by much. No pics nope won't le me still! :( I'll have to lug out the camera!!

Yaaay! Can't wait, you'll be starting up soon :) Where did you get it from in the end? I thought you were going to use your loyalty card?

By the way, I had a great time at you party. I bet with my costume you didn't even know I was there did you????? hehehehehe

Back
Top Bottom