Moonlight necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarcothelia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I had been using moonlights after day lights turned off for quite a while. I recently bought a timer, but because the ballast effects both the daylights and moonlight LEDs, I can't have one set to on and one set to off when plugged into the timer. I could just unplug the timer and do it manually, but was wondering if moonlights are even necessary.

Anyone have any info? I don't know if its stressful or not for the tank to be pretty dark at night.

IMO no effect but for you to be able to see you're tank at night.

They used to think it promoted coral spawning, but this is untrue

Its really a debate. I believe it has been helping my coraline grow and given greater growth on some of my corals but I have no way of proving it.
In the end its your choice by no way a must have.

I don't really think it keeps them open. I have some 12 watt LED strips for dawn/dusk effect and most corals are closed even then, with those being much brighter than the moonlights.

It`s not necessary. I`ve had my tank for 13+ yrs and never had moonlights. Unless you want to consider the computer screen in the room. LOL. You dont have to have them.

Back
Top Bottom