MP10 worth it? And how many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude i really want an mp10 on my 66 now!!!! :) this is after the chiller and ATO :( haha :/

Yours looks AWESOME!!!! :)

Squidy07 said:
my mp10 also does that annoying noise when it's in pulse mode. I don't think anything can be done except to not have it on pulse mode lol.

Yeah I hear ya lol. I think they love pulse mode so I'll deal with it. Another note. I wish the BC stand had a bigger hole in the read so the power head would fit. So I could mount the module on the onside of the door instead of on the outside. The LED's get somewhat annoying at night.

Hopefully this thread isn't dead yet lol. Just wanted to pass along some info from the techs when I called about the mp10. The guy told me the % was way too much for my BC29 and recommended only 40-50% at reef crest mode(sent him the video and pics of tank)

He also suggested putting that foam cover over the wet side. He said it will help with any drag or whirlpool effect from the surface(something I'm not having an issue with)

I'm just confused. I've seen guys running mp20's at much much higher speeds and I'm being told my percentage is way too high?

I dunno. Makes me think I should have just stuck with what I had. The old saying if it ain't broke why fix it.

Its not too high. Hes simply wrong and its his opinion. There is no such thing as too much flow, only if sand is being wildly blown around or corals are being blasted and visibly irritated. It which case moving the coral will like fix it.

However for your particular tank and setup 40% might be that threshold. Not sure why you think you made a mistake with this purchase or what your expectations where. The whole purpose of flow is to eliminate dead spots and keep organic matter suspended. Having too little is the biggest problem.

I dunno. Makes me think I should have just stuck with what I had. The old saying if it ain't broke why fix it.

What exactly are you not happy with? Can you just not find the mode and % that makes you happy? How are the fish and the corals handling it?

Schism said:
Its not too high. Hes simply wrong and its his opinion. There is no such thing as too much flow, only if sand is being wildly blown around or corals are being blasted and visibly irritated. It which case moving the coral will like fix it.

However for your particular tank and setup 40% might be that threshold. Not sure why you think you made a mistake with this purchase or what your expectations where. The whole purpose of flow is to eliminate dead spots and keep organic matter suspended. Having too little is the biggest problem.

I guess my OCD just takes over if you can understand. With the options with modes and % my OCD kicks in and I'm always changing modes and %. Right now it's on reef crest at 50% no sand is being blown around.

spoonman said:
What exactly are you not happy with? Can you just not find the mode and % that makes you happy? How are the fish and the corals handling it?

The fish seem fine. Swimming into the current and sometimes just sitting there with there backs to it. There not hiding or moving to a different place in the tank. Actually I've seen my Firefish more now then before! Corals appear to be doing fine.

Like I said this what happens when I buy something sometimes. I second guess it because nothing was broke per say prior. I'll get use to it. Just takes me time lol. I've been like this my whole life. I know the mp10 is killer and much better then my Koralia's. It's just the change ya know? I'm always thinking should I change the mode, is the % too high, too low etc etc...

Lol i can understand that.

I normally change modes 1-2 times a week if i feel like it. Every mode is great and they all accomplish the same job for the most part. Probably the only mode i dont use is the Constant mode.

The vortechs are high quality powerheads and high quality wavemakers built into one package. To give you and idea of flow, i too have an Mp10 in a 29g (standard 30") mixed reef. I have it set at 90-100% at all times.

Take into consideration how the modes work. The speed setting will determine the MAX speed of the mode, so that means the max swell. So the lower you have the speed the narrower the speed change becomes from high to low, say in tidal swell mode or reef crest mode.

Study the quicks start guide's graphs and you will see how the speed changes over the modes cycle.

Schism said:
Lol i can understand that.

I normally change modes 1-2 times a week if i feel like it. Every mode is great and they all accomplish the same job for the most part. Probably the only mode i dont use is the Constant mode.

The vortechs are high quality powerheads and high quality wavemakers built into one package. To give you and idea of flow, i too have an Mp10 in a 29g (standard 30") mixed reef. I have it set at 90-100% at all times.

Take into consideration how the modes work. The speed setting will determine the MAX speed of the mode, so that means the max swell. So the lower you have the speed the narrower the speed change becomes from high to low, say in tidal swell mode or reef crest mode.

Study the quicks start guide's graphs and you will see how the speed changes over the modes cycle.

Thanks, I'm gonna study theist graphs just to get a better idea. I have it on lagoon mode now lol at 70%. Reef crest mode at that % was a sand storm in my tank. I also had to change the aim of the stock outlet so I wouldn't get that whirlpool effect over the mp10 which was sucking in water and spitting out bubbles.

It's kinda funny this only started happening today AFTER I cleaned my MJ1200. I guess the pump wasn't at 100%, it was pretty dirty an once cleaned real good, put back together and turned on... WOW!! lol. I had to top off a bunch to raise the level. That thing just started pumping like a champ! Guess I'll be doing routine cleanings from now on because the same happen to my skimmer when I have that a good cleaning also.

I mean the like you said the mp10 is really amazing. I turned off the MJ1200 and just ran the mp10 and I was surprised! It was making the whole body of water move (lagoon mode) it was getting around the rocks in the back almost making a circular motion. I added food to see the actual flow and it was amazing that, that little thing packs so much. I NEVER got that from 2 koralia 425's and the smartwave.

So I guess it WAS a great purchase.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks, I'm gonna study theist graphs just to get a better idea. I have it on lagoon mode now lol at 70%. Reef crest mode at that % was a sand storm in my tank. I also had to change the aim of the stock outlet so I wouldn't get that whirlpool effect over the mp10 which was sucking in water and spitting out bubbles.

It's kinda funny this only started happening today AFTER I cleaned my MJ1200. I guess the pump wasn't at 100%, it was pretty dirty an once cleaned real good, put back together and turned on... WOW!! lol. I had to top off a bunch to raise the level. That thing just started pumping like a champ! Guess I'll be doing routine cleanings from now on because the same happen to my skimmer when I have that a good cleaning also.

I mean the like you said the mp10 is really amazing. I turned off the MJ1200 and just ran the mp10 and I was surprised! It was making the whole body of water move (lagoon mode) it was getting around the rocks in the back almost making a circular motion. I added food to see the actual flow and it was amazing that, that little thing packs so much. I NEVER got that from 2 koralia 425's and the smartwave.

So I guess it WAS a great purchase.

Yep, that food will have a hard time settling. You can really see what your pump is doing if you keep it on during feeding. You will see the undertow effect very well.

If your looking for the wave action side to side motion then really mess around with short pulse mode. It took me a few weeks to really dial in that setting how i like it, then you can save it and the pattern will be used for the Nutrient Transport Mode except at the end of the NTM is a big surge that flushes any detritus into suspension so it can be skimmed out. I like to run this mode the day of a water change before i do the change, really helps stir stuff up thy might be hiding.

Schism said:
Yep, that food will have a hard time settling. You can really see what your pump is doing if you keep it on during feeding. You will see the undertow effect very well.

If your looking for the wave action side to side motion then really mess around with short pulse mode. It took me a few weeks to really dial in that setting how i like it, then you can save it and the pattern will be used for the Nutrient Transport Mode except at the end of the NTM is a big surge that flushes any detritus into suspension so it can be skimmed out. I like to run this mode the day of a water change before i do the change, really helps stir stuff up thy might be hiding.

Awesome idea! I'm gonna mess around with that tomorrow. I really like the short pulse mode and lagoon so far. I'm reading now how you can set the pulse mode to whatever you want. Do you the night mode at all? I was thinking about trying it.

Ive never really used the night mode. I pretty sure its a constant mode with default of 10% which is really low but can be changed. I just keep it in whatever mode im using.

Schism said:
Ive never really used the night mode. I pretty sure its a constant mode with default of 10% which is really low but can be changed. I just keep it in whatever mode im using.

Gotcha. Thanks for all your help, advice and for dealing with me and my OCD. :)

Just a quick update. Things are going well. Lagoon setting at 70% seems to be keeping everyone happy.

Great to hear! I would hate to think of spending that kind of money and not being totally happy with the purchase. But, I think like all of us, you are never entirely happy with everything right away. We always want to get better equipment, change aquascaping...etc. You will be happy eventually!

spoonman said:
Great to hear! I would hate to think of spending that kind of money and not being totally happy with the purchase. But, I think like all of us, you are never entirely happy with everything right away. We always want to get better equipment, change aquascaping...etc. You will be happy eventually!

Thanks!!! Yes very true! I'm having visions of my 75g African tank!!

Personally, I use the lagoon mode in conjunction with ecotech Radions. Switches to night mode when the lights go out.

Back
Top Bottom