Mr. Aqua 17 -- Restart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a reef set up for about in my Mr. Aqua Rimless, but after some stuff went down hill with family and finals got the best of me, my tank was looking rather shameful. Time for a restart! Going to be a mixed reef with minimal rock work, just a simple island concept.

-- Radion w/ RMS and ReefLink (Kinda looking to change this, open to trades, sales, and suggestions.)
-- SCA 301 Skimmer
-- Aqueon Proflex Sump (Open to suggestions, my homemade sump isn't cutting it for me.)
-- MP10ES
-- CPR Carbon Reactor

I need to paint my stand and ATO and wiring cabinet black. It's currently greenish and I need a change.

I'll post pics soon, I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to grab the sump and a few odds and ends I need. I leave for the beach for two weeks so this will start a little slow. After that, I'll be breaking out the 70D for some nice pics on the weekly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why would you want to trade the radion and the reeflink? Some of the best stuff on the market. I love all the stuff I can do with mine.

I love mine, too. I just could not get it dialed in. Hopefully it goes better this time. I thought about going back to T5 and picking up an ATI unit, but we'll see.

Subbed.. But there's very little I can contribute other than enjoying the ride (SW newb, still). Go Joey!

Mine was peaking at 35%. The tank is only 14 inches deep though.

Back from the beach unexpectedly due to some family issues.

Anyway, I decided to make my own sump. I decided I could do it well enough and customize it, all while leaving the extra cash for fish, coral, etc. I picked up the acrylic and the ten gallon, cut the acrylic today and plan to silicone it tonight. Fingers crossed.

Also, what do you guys suggest for the fuge? Just chaeto or other macro? My miracle mud came in today.

Need to get the stand painted black and sump finished. Probably tomorrow. May see water by this weekend. I also started a pod culturing setup in the basement. I plan to culture pods to feed an eventual mandarin. Probably missing something but oh well. I'll post pics when the sump is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you should use glass with glass for the baffles.
Silicone doesn't adhere very well to acrylic and it WILL eventually fail and your baffles will move.

on a side note the guy who makes the sump you linked made my little nano/refugium tank and I am very happy with his work.
He also sells sump kits in differing sizes that are all the precut pieces, the solvent with full instructions, and he sells a jig for keeping it all square.

I can always go back and get glass. No big deal. If I can gather some money over the course of the next few days I may just order a sump. I'll know I will wish i originally did it. Just may push things back a week or so I guess. Anyone know anything about advanced acrylics?

Going to get this going tomorrow. Anyone have any pointers for radion intensity? I have it mounted on an RMS and the tank is 14 inches deep. I have it peaking at 30%. Does this sound ok?

Got her filled up. Refugium is up and running. I was really surprised that the miracle mud didn't really cloud up at all. Not sure if any of you have ever heard or shopped at That Fish Place, but it's about 25 minutes from me. They gave me an obscene amount of macro and pods. I'm lighting the Fuge with a PAR 38 I had laying around. Looks good. I'll be posting pictures later. Have a funeral to go to tonight.

Wanted to get some pics with the light on but my reeflink isn't cooperating right now. I took a few of the growth im seeing in the sump and of the tank without light. I'll post them later. Maybe by then the Reeflink will working.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Big photo dump and test results coming tonight.

Here's a few photos to share until i break out the macro. Just basic photos- My Nikon P&S cant focus or pickup anything with the glass. Any tips are greatly appreciated. The fuge is packed, and between that and the skimmer, id say the tank is doing good exporting nutrients. I tested tonight and my NO3 was at 0.50 and PO4 was sitting at about 0.03. I should probably look to bring up that phosphate although i'm sure with the addition of more fish it will come up on its own. That brings me to my next question: What are some good fish that you would recommend? I already have a gladiator clown from the last run with this tank. He is awesome and always eats from my hand. I like the idea of smaller fish, maybe a couple gobies? i saw a cool aurora goby at the LFS. I thought maybe an Aurora Goby, My clown, and a midas blenny or an ORA white pygmy filefish? heading to the LFS tomorrow for more salt and i need to get some more members for my CUC. I already see some detritus building on the sand bed, so what are some good additions to help tackle that? Ill be testing twice a week or so i guess, and two 25% changes a month w/ coral pro. If i need it, i have plenty of two part on hand from BRS.

Last question: Ive been looking into getting an Apex or an Apex Junior. do you guys have thoughts on these? Is it worth the price tag? i figure to plug all my stuff in and it will be a couple add on modules and powerbars, so about $500 for the junior.

gdXhMc6.jpg

l3orrBe.jpg

H9IGtT5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom