My 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone, I really like #1 as well so will go with this one lol. Once I get it filled and started will post update with the sand etc. ;)

I should be starting the cycling process of my tank on Tuesday, really looking forward to it lol.

While this is taking place I am looking at my soon to be inhabitants. Would it be a good idea to start with the invert's first and if so what would be the best thing to feed them since there won't be any fish right away?

Same with corals, what is the best thing to feed them?

I should be starting the cycling process of my tank on Tuesday, really looking forward to it lol.

While this is taking place I am looking at my soon to be inhabitants. Would it be a good idea to start with the invert's first and if so what would be the best thing to feed them since there won't be any fish right away?

Same with corals, what is the best thing to feed them?

That depends on what you like, cuc aren't necessary by any means but if you like the look of hermits and snails the. You can add them. It's best to go slow with cuc so you know they have enough to eat. As for corals most require no supplemental feeding, in fact the only coral that I regularly feed (3-4 times a week) are my sps, most get all they will need from the light.
Edit: I take that back, acans are ALWAYS hungry, so not just the sps

That depends on what you like, cuc aren't necessary by any means but if you like the look of hermits and snails the. You can add them. It's best to go slow with cuc so you know they have enough to eat. As for corals most require no supplemental feeding, in fact the only coral that I regularly feed (3-4 times a week) are my sps, most get all they will need from the light.
Edit: I take that back, acans are ALWAYS hungry, so not just the sps

Thanks Red, that's what I was worried about. I know if I add the cuc to a new tank there is going to be very little algea etc. for them to eat with no fish being in it yet. Could I drop in maybe some pellet type food for them to feed on until I get the fish in there?

Awesome to know about the corals. I have seen video's etc. of individuals who feed them using a turkey baster with some type of liquid food for corals. But if softies and LPS really don't need it then that will be a big help.

Thanks Red, that's what I was worried about. I know if I add the cuc to a new tank there is going to be very little algea etc. for them to eat with no fish being in it yet. Could I drop in maybe some pellet type food for them to feed on until I get the fish in there?

Awesome to know about the corals. I have seen video's etc. of individuals who feed them using a turkey baster with some type of liquid food for corals. But if softies and LPS really don't need it then that will be a big help.

For hermits yes you can add pellets, most snails are herbivores so I doubt they would touch it. I will occasionally spot feed the lps mysis but that's only once or twice a month, acans excluded

For hermits yes you can add pellets, most snails are herbivores so I doubt they would touch it. I will occasionally spot feed the lps mysis but that's only once or twice a month, acans excluded

Great! Thanks again Red...gonna jot this down in my reef journal so I will have it handy when the time comes. (y)

Ok, here are the first pics of the setup. I changed the layout a little and made the upper rock to where the flatter side was up to give more room for corals when I get them.

With white lights on....

Whitelights.jpg

With Blue Lights...

Bluelights.jpg

Tomorrow will be heading to the store for a shrimp. will a cooked one work ok? None of our stores sell uncooked/raw :(

Did you check in freezer section I just bought a bag of raw frozen shrimp thawed it threw one in and grilled the rest!!

Did you check in freezer section I just bought a bag of raw frozen shrimp thawed it threw one in and grilled the rest!!

Ahh...didn't think about that lol. Will check while I am grocery shopping tomorrow :thanks:

Today I have officially started the cycling process. After checking the store today, the don't even have uncooked shrimp in the frozen section :blink:, guess that's what I get for living in a small town lol. So I went with the cooked one to see what happens.

At this time I got my water level where I want it, took some permanent marker and made a small line on the outside of the aquarium so I can track evaporation and have a visual mark on where to fill to. My salinity level is almost right on 1.025, temperature is right at 78 degrees and lights off.

Now, I will be checking my water level daily for the evaporation so my salinity doesn't go up. So from this point, when should I start testing for ammonia and how often? Every day, couple days till it is at 0 then start testing for nitrite in the same way?

When I did my cycle nitrite didn't start to develope till day 4 so really just after a couple days check to see how much ammo you made then once nitrite starts you will slowly see it go down. I checked once a day to see the progress of the cycle!

When I did my cycle nitrite didn't start to develope till day 4 so really just after a couple days check to see how much ammo you made then once nitrite starts you will slowly see it go down. I checked once a day to see the progress of the cycle!

Thanks Deckaman, I will start checking tomorrow, gonna have to hit the store again for some distilled water for the evap that is already happening. Forgot it today lol.

I love the rock cave :) always gives a reef more depth IMO

Thanks Dingus :) I love the look of caves as well. Would liek to make another one but that will be later when I get more smaller rock lol.

Yeah it evaporates quick man!!

Yes it does lol. I added fresh water today and then when I tested my salinity was below 1.020 :blink: I know salt doesn't evaporate so this has me major confused lol. Especially when it was at 1.025 and I really didn't have to put much in it.

Back
Top Bottom