My 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm that's weird. Even though it shouldn't affect SG that much, check for salt creep all around the tank. Also, I highly doubt you have one as you would have found out by now, but any leaks in you tank, filter, or anything else will bring your SG down

How long did you let the salt and water mix originally before taking your first sg reading?
Edit: when you first filled the tank

Hmmm that's weird. Even though it shouldn't affect SG that much, check for salt creep all around the tank. Also, I highly doubt you have one as you would have found out by now, but any leaks in you tank, filter, or anything else will bring your SG down

Getting ready to go check now. I know this may sound very stupid....but what exactly is salt creep and what am I looking for lol?

I have heard it talked about but not sure how to recognize it :blink:

How long did you let the salt and water mix originally before taking your first sg reading?
Edit: when you first filled the tank

To be honest I do not remember Red. I'm thinking it was at least a hour or two before I checked it again.

It's wet salt essentially, I can't really think of how to describe it, but you'll know it when you see it. I doubt that's your problem though because if you had enough to drop that much you would of already seen it

To be honest I do not remember Red. I'm thinking it was at least a hour or two before I checked it again.

My guess is it wasn't completely mixed yet so you got a higher reading than it really was

Btw to answer your q salt creep is just dried salt anywhere saltwater has gotten to and dried (can build up if water splashes around the same areas over and over)

Btw to answer your q salt creep is just dried salt anywhere saltwater has gotten to and dried (can build up if water splashes around the same areas over and over)

I did notice something that looks like this when checking filter leaks etc. will mix it back into the water and see if it makes a difference. :)

Shouldn't make too much of a difference, but it should help a little :) just make sure it doesn't land on livestock or it potentially kill it if you are putting back a lot of salt :p. I recommend mixing it with a little tank water in a cup, then pouring it back in.

Cool...thanks for the tip Dingus, much appreciated.

No problem :)

Btw, how is your cycling shrimp doing?

Well...it has only been a couple days and when I done my first ammonia check it was showing at 0. I am gonna check again today to see if there has been any change. If not I may have to go with using pure ammonia for the cycling and see what happens there. Not too confident in the cooked shrimp :nono:

Ok, here is my first "Official" test....

Test1.jpg

Does this seem right, its only been a few days?

Back
Top Bottom