My 20H :) Lots o' Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iNano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this forum, so I figured I would show you guys my 20H nano reef. The tank was set up on January 8th, 2010. I am a poor teen, so the tank will not fill up fast.
Equipment
Tank: 20g High standard glass tank
Lights: 70w metal halide clamp lamp
Filter: Aquaclear 70 modded to refugium (search diy aquaclear 70 refugium on youtube to see my vid on how I did it)
Flow: Koralia 1

Specs
15 lbs of live rock (planning on adding a lil more)
1" thick live sand bed

Livestock
Fish
1x Onyx Clown
1x Black and White Clown
1x Bangaii Cardinal

Inverts
8x Turbo Snails
2x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
1x Peppermint Shrimp

Coral
Zoas/Palys
Eagle Eye
Whammin Watermelon
Teal Rings
Orange Bam Bam
Fire and Ice
Radio Active Dragon Eyes
Un-Id
Softies
Kenya Tree
Green Mushroom
Orange Yuma Ricordia
Green Star Polyps
LPS
Frogspawn (chalices and acans to come)
SPS
ORA Green Birdsnest (lots more SPS to come)

Pics
img_1101716_0_6e0697b441d905fd01da888682795656.jpg

img_1101716_1_0f8c76edb4fe5f3d6044e2c526e2669d.jpg

img_1101716_2_497dd9853fd03876b90e158d6792b01f.jpg

img_1101716_3_da5159278a73439543cee0dd0a389686.jpg

img_1101716_4_acf05736581f28fb62ac82d6a3fb2c32.jpg

img_1101716_5_5df50fb74b815bcd093a6ad8fee083c3.jpg

img_1101716_6_43fed06ad26827f55a259c7321f1aded.jpg

img_1101716_7_9e7446e5b2b448b29fe631ce5f7713f9.jpg

Wow, nice start! keep it up!

20G you should not need any type of filter... just nice size water changes every week or 2 weeks, keep good flow.. 15-20x tank Vol. try getting a bag of algae to keep in the main or refuge help with keeping down nitrates.

Awesome tank dude. We need pictures of that green birdnest.. :D My favorite coral of all. Used to have one until i tore my tank down.. :(

Ok well the green birdsnest is small, and the camera doesnt bring out all the green but you can see where it is. This is proly the best pic I can get of it... but ya I love the gb. I want some different types of bn and alot of acropora.
img_1101878_0_c8d160ad0d08bcfebccd494b7dd70af3.jpg

Looks awesome. I love the green birdsnest. You should try the pink birdsnest next.. those are excellent as well.

I was thinkin about.. uhh birds of paradise? is that what its called? Seems like I saw one somehwere called like gatorade birdnest, it was blue lookin, looked pretty cool. I'll try to get my hands on as many types as I can at frag swaps and stuff.

I so want my tank up and running it just takes so long... I want some birdsnests too. Nice pics... only about 2 months till I can put water in my tank...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, using this for insperation as i probably be doing this to my 20H.

Lol thanks guys. I plan on adding some more rock and tons more SPS coral asap. My b'day is in July and all that money will go to the tank :p I also persuaded my cousin to set up a 14g biocube, so I will help him set that up and take some pics of that along the way. We are planning on setting that up in June.

hey now... you were knocking me for setting up a sw tank, now you're considering it??? :)

Yes, and i will continue knocking you until i have 1. It is not for sure yet but i am considering it. I still say i will think that FW is better. But i figure i better try it anyways. ;)

Why do you have to wait 2 months? Set her up tomorrow :) What size is it?

I have to order the glass and wait for it to show up... build the tank (320g) and wait for the silicone to fully cure(and lose it's smell.... that can take a while) then I have to set it all up... everything is DIY... even some of the rock... I'll be making that within the next 2 weeks.... (I also work too much so I don't have lots of time) feel free to tag along though there is a link to my thread in my signature :D

Yes, and i will continue knocking you until i have 1. It is not for sure yet but i am considering it. I still say i will think that FW is better. But i figure i better try it anyways. :wink:

your off your rocker haha

i got a question about the no need for any filter for a 20g, i run a skimmer on mine rated at 40g for my 20g. Ive had it since the start and what you guys are saying is i can take it out? i have about 11 hermits running around will they really take care of everything or is running this skimmer a bonus. And heads up Im impressed with the tank you already have a nice selection. Im a 24 yr old broke man. Haha +1

You might want to hold off on the acroporas, and other related SPS, until you have had your tank set up for some time. Once you get used to having zero nutrients, you might then consider them. Seems your tank is awfully young for such demanding SPS. Would be a shame to see your money tied up in them and then have a crash, or find out you are having trouble with nutrients (nitrates and phosphates). Youll also need alot more flow for them. Id add some flow (another Koralia), practice keeping pristine water, and see how the green birdsnets does. (It supposedly grows crazy when happy)

If your dying for more SPS, id go with some red orange montipora. Back when my tank was still young, I got a piece of montipora and its doing great still. Seems they dont care as long as they get light.

Seeing as you have three largish fish in a 20g, you will likely see high nutrient levels from them pooping. :) Youve got the aquaclear mini refuge going, right? Put some chaeto in there and add a CFL for light. That ought to help out a great deal with nutrients.

Keep pictures coming!
Also, skip live, live rock and get dry base rock since your tank is cycled. Youll save an awful lot of money and wind up with better shapes. (Which translates to better places to put corals ;-)) As for no filter, you dont need one for removing ammonia and nitrites since your rocks do that for you. I DO run a fluval 305 for the ability to quickly add things such as carbon for when a nuke goes off in the tank, or GFO for quick phosphate control. I also use it to pull out dust and junk that gets in from the air. Keeps the water quite clear! Also adds some extra flow to the tank. :)

Ive got a 20g and no skimmer. I dont think they are useful if you are doing a PWC each week.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom