My 28g Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About $190 for all the rock. The caribbean liverock was expensive and theres 21 lbs of it in the mix of it

Looks awesome! I'm going to copy you (if you don't mind)- as soon as I get started with water changes then cycles.

Well gave my tank a few hours in the dark and flipped the light on to see what new critters, if any, I have from putting in all the new live rock. Seen a little bug go running across the bottom of the tank lol.

Looks awesome! I'm going to copy you (if you don't mind)- as soon as I get started with water changes then cycles.

You wouldn't be copying me at all...Im sure it wouldnt be exactly the same. :cool: I'm no pro to the saltwater world at all but if you add live rock after your tank cycles....your probably going to have to watch your water cause it may have to cycle again if you don't have enough benficial bacteria to handle the load.

In other words...do what you want to do now to it then let it cycle imo. I'm sure someone can comment on that subject and give a definite answer.

Yep, put all the live rock you plan on and then cycle. It will help with the cycling and make it faster the more you add.

dry base rock can be added at any time though. So if you eventually want more rock you can just order it cheap and toss it in. :)

11f150 said:
About $190 for all the rock. The caribbean liverock was expensive and theres 21 lbs of it in the mix of it

Did you get your rock locally or online? It looks great

Dude you just took me back home. I grew up in Nashville and my family used to always frequent Aquatic Critter on Nolensville Rd. Man that was at least 20 years ago. We almost went there about 3 years ago when we went to visit my grandmother. We probably would have gone in if my grandmother wasn't in the car with us. She could care less about this hobby. I know we were talking about going in. I'm way on the other side of the world now but it would be nice to take a trip down memory lane. I grew up with freshwater tanks all over the house. Aquatic Critter had a really nice selection. I bet there saltwater selection is great now too. Anyways thanks for reminding me about that place.

<3 your rock set up!

Dude you just took me back home. I grew up in Nashville and my family used to always frequent Aquatic Critter on Nolensville Rd. Man that was at least 20 years ago. We almost went there about 3 years ago when we went to visit my grandmother. We probably would have gone in if my grandmother wasn't in the car with us. She could care less about this hobby. I know we were talking about going in. I'm way on the other side of the world now but it would be nice to take a trip down memory lane. I grew up with freshwater tanks all over the house. Aquatic Critter had a really nice selection. I bet there saltwater selection is great now too. Anyways thanks for reminding me about that place.

<3 your rock set up!

Wow thats pretty crazy. Ive only lived in Nashville for about 2 years but I have been going there. Next time Im in the critter Ill take some pics and post them for you. Thanks for the compliment as well :fish2:

Well doing a little update tonight..I checked my water and its looking very good it seems I can start adding a cuc. Im going to give it another week just to be certain. Looking at a piece of live rock tonight I got some small green bubbles all over it. Not sure what it is Im guessing some sort of algae here it is.

img_1813276_0_85625263cc8d7c7ad98c94a334000649.jpg

Looks like you have some bubble algae growing. You can either hand remove it or there's emerald crabs that love to eat it. Just remember while hand removing (if you choose that route) don't burst the bubble, as it will release hundred of new algae spores into your system. IME I've used a scalpel and a length of 1/4 hose. Create a siphon into a 5g bucket then use the scalpel to cut the base off the rock. Suck it into the bucket. Keep the hose as close to the one your cutting just incase you pop it accidentally.

Thanks StL. I'll look into getting a crab for it. Going to be ordering a cuc tonight

Checkout reefcleaners.org they have a great variety of custom CUC's varied on tank size. Or they can create a custom one for you based on your overall needs.

Hey there, I'm going to be following you. I just bought a 24g nano off craigslist for $100. I have never attempted saltwater so I will be learning through you :) Keep up the good work your tank is looking awesome!!!

Do you have a stocking plan in mind?

I really dont yet. Im just doing alot of reading lately and just getting a idea on what I want. For my clean up crew Im making sure not to get anything that will damage or kill corals. I do plan on having a full looking tank with coral because I think that looks very nice.

I'm following as well. Just started my JBJ 28 gallon build in December so I like to see what other people are doing with the same size tank.

I'm following as well. Just started my JBJ 28 gallon build in December so I like to see what other people are doing with the same size tank.

Nice...what all do you have so far? have any links to your tank?

You can get to my build thread through my profile. (im on my phone so i dont really know how to link it)I have a couple coral frags, a firefish, emerald crab, three hermits and two snails

Back
Top Bottom