My 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ammonia:about 0 not sure
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0 :(
What happened?

pH: 7.8
I'm going to take a retest, hold on.

Last edited:
Hold on a minute my test kit may be expired! >:| looking at the ammonia and nitrate bottles, it says 0806 The nitrite bottle says 1008. The pH says 1008. I believe the pH and nitrite is accurate. I read the API test kit is good for 3-4 years. And if the nitrate and ammonia were made in 2006 The results are off. I googled how to find out if it was expired it said the last four numbers is the month and year. Any way I can yell at API, or petco for not taking it off the shelf? I bought this in what, February? What do you guys think?

If it turns out I was never stalled at all, I'm going to scream. It was like 40$ because I bought it from petco to! :/

That may have been the case, but regardless I'm almost sure you're cycled, I just want to be sure.

Maybe grab another from online? Much cheaper on the net including shipping

Before I do, I want to be certain it's expired. I'll call API tomorrow. .... If it turns out it's nit expired, is there any explanation for why the nitrates just "died" ?

I haven't got around to anything because I'm sick. :/ Which is annoying because the last day of school is next tuesday, and I'm SICK. Still going to school, mostly because I found out one of my favorite teachers is getting fired due to the budget cuts. -_-

Next week or if petco is open tomorrow Im just buying a new API master test kit. I have to return that filter than I'll order it, so It'll be cheaper.

I've been looking at these fluval chi's and I'm a bit mad I went with a plain 5 gallon for this project instead of that 5 gallon fluval chi. I mean dwarf seahorses are cool, but it would have looked way better in that 5 gallon fluval chi! I like how it looks sealed, but it really is in a seperate box thing.

I'll order a new test kit tonight. I'm also buying the CUC and caulerpa when I get back from vacation on the 16th.

Going tonight to return my filter and two boxes of filter cartridges. When I'm there I'll see hoe much the API test kit is. I'll probably end up ordering it. I'll pick up some filter cartridges for my marine land filter too. I'll see if they have GREEN backgrounds for once.

Also I think I have more coraline growing. Except, now it isn't purple it's a rusty looking brown color. I kind of like it. :b

Rusty looking brown is diatoms, coralline is usually either green, deep red, or the ever-popular purple

Oh. How do I get rid of it?
EDIT* I thought you only get them on the sand? This is actually on the rock.

Last edited:
Cool. When I'm gone for two weeks and there isn't anything live in the tank, it won't completely over run the tank, will it?

Back
Top Bottom