My first reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadownova

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I am wanting to set up a reef aquarium. I was thinking a ten gal. I want to put some soft corals and a pair of percula clowns. I currently have a 15 gallon freshwater. I have been doing a lot of research on the fish and inverts I want to keep. I want to know what u guys think about the setup.

First off, if you want a pair of perculas, you will need a minimum of 30 gallons.... 20 for the first one, and an additional 10 for the second.

Remember, with salt, especially reefs, the smaller the tank, the more diligent your maintenance is going to have to be. With such a small water volume, when something goes wrong, it can get bad in a hurry. The more water volume you give yourself to work with, the more time you have to catch small problems before they become devastating ones.

Nano Fish

Liveaquaria is a great starting point for tank sizes and compatibility. I'd say a firefish and some inverts would look great. Of course you could just go for a 20 gallon as the cost and space difference is minimal.

I have 2 clownfish in a 20 tank and they do just fine but they are the only fish I have too.

As many as you want I suppose. You might have to get rid of some or frag them to keep them in check when they grow. Just add them slowly. And make sure you have plenty of light and keep the calcium levels up there

I was thinking colony polyps and What kind of light would you suggest for them

Last edited:
I have a t5 h/o on my tank and it works fine. But it all depends on your budget too so do some research on different led and other options.

LEDs are really pricey. I was thinking about the t5 nova extreme. But what lights do you think are best for a reef?

Back
Top Bottom