My first saltwater tank. 10g Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clowns don't host condys unfortunately. They are more likely to be eaten by one than host it. lol
They can host them, in fact the one that I was going to buy was already hosted by some type of clown fish at the pet store but I decided not to buy the condy without buying the fish since it was already hosted. Don't want to be taking fishies houses. I do know that it is not very likely but I seen my clown go towards it and through it then 5 minutes later the condy was all inside of itself and balled up like they do when scared. I am also starting a 1 gallon pico with sand that I had left over and im going to buy a 5 lb piece of liverock, 2 inch sand bed.

Some clowns host condys, but your occ is unlikely to. As mentioned above, more likely to get eaten. A Clarks or tomato clown is a better bet, or try a bubble tip nem...

Some clowns host condys, but your occ is unlikely to. As mentioned above, more likely to get eaten. A Clarks or tomato clown is a better bet, or try a bubble tip nem...
I really just bought the condy as a test to see how my tank would react before adding anything to expensive. I need to do a water test and see how my levels are. I will be doing a 2 gallon water change tomorrow (my last one was the 12th) lol. Hopefully my clown don't get eaten lololol!!!!

I reread what I posted and kind of come off as a know it all jerk. That is definitely NOT the case. I honestly know very little and hope I did not offend any of you. If so I am sorry. ANYWHO just tested my water after my water change
Nitrite-0ppm
Ammonia- 0.25 ppm
Nitrate- 5.0 ppm
pH- 8.2 ppm
I believe some of my levels are still high because of 2 things, not 100% completed cycle and my filter needs changed (has not been changed since I started and it smells)
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME SO FAR AND EVERYONE WHO WILL HELP ME IN THE FUTURE.

How long has the tank been running? I didn't realise it was a new set up - nems do best in mature tanks and require stable water conditions. I would do a big water change with traces of ammonia - that's bad! Def clean your filter, that will need to be cleaned weekly at least, if not more often. Keep testing regularly too and if you can write your findings in a little book. That way you can monitor the swings in your tank and help you get an idea of a maintenance schedule...

The tank has been running for a little over a month. It has went through the diatoms phase and everything. I am going to do the ammonia test again today because last night when I did it everything was a little stirred up, so I may not have gotten and accurate reading. I did that test before all of the others. After I did the ammonia test I thought maybe I should wait for this to settle then never retested that. The condy seems to be doing alright, it does better at night though? I have a T5HO light on my tank and at night the condy seems completely stretched out and in the day its only medium sized. Maybe it is reaching towards the light and its happier in the day. I don't know!!!

Also as far as the writing stuff down I have been keeping a small note book of my levels for awhile and they just keep dropping further and further 2 weeks ago I was at 20ppm Nitrates, now im at 5.0ppm working towards getting those down though!

Over the past 2 days I have gotten a crazy outbreak of green algae in my tank. I did a water change it made it worse lol. Im not sure if it is normal for a newly cycled tank or not. My lighting schedule is 10 hours on and 14 hours off plus or minus an hour. Changed the filter in my biowheel today and scrubbed the sides of the tank. What can I do?? thanks, Darron

What kind of water do you use? You could run those lights at around 8 hours a day, that would still be plenty and might help.
I use RO to top off, none of the stores near me sell RO/DI except for the fish store like 30 minutes away and its like a dollar per gallon (ridiculous). I was thinking the same thing on the lights lol.

Well I am at these levels
pH-8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5.0
Ammonia-0
Salinity-1.026
Just can not seem to get my Nitrates lower than 5.0. I think most stuff will survive at that level but would like to be lower and add a bunch of Zoas. Everything is doing well as far as I can tell and all of my algae went away.
Also started a pico reef but I just started it today, so I will add something as soon as i figure out heating and flow. It is less than a gallon so I guess its a micro reef. I like the design of the bowl because I an spin it on the base and see it from every angle fairly easily.
This it it. I guess its a betta bowl or something (poor poor bettas). I'm upgrading the light and stuff and this will only house zoas (I love Zoas) and some cleanup crew things.
ForumRunner_20130904_004422.jpg

It seems that my cuc hermit crabs have all died. Nothing else has. What could be the problem

Swings in salinity are a common cause of inverts dying, have you been checking regularly? Is this in the 10 or the pico? How long have they been in there and how did you acclimate?

They were in there around a month. My starfish is still alive as are my snails. My salinity stays between 1.026-1.028 usually at 1.027 since I started the tank. I think 1 may still be alive and her fairly bigger than the others. Maybe it killed all of the others?

Back
Top Bottom