my first ten gallon saltwater nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ivanomar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank running for two months now and just put in two clowns and a goby also a banded shrimp I have done a water change but when I do how much do I change and it seems like if everything going away like my bw and my algae the sand is clearing up what's this mean is it good or bad should I get a sump or a refugium if that's spelled right plz need answers I am somewhat novice not a rookie but can still say a begginer

I also have a 10 gallon nano... You don't need a sump... Do you have a built in wet dry filter Luke most nanos? What is the filter media you use?

You should do 20 to 25% water changes once a week... Make sure to clean the glass and vacuum the sand bed every time you do the water change.... Also clean out your filter system at leased once in two months and don't over feed your fish cause it will result in elevated nitrates and phosphates which would result in algae growth...

I also have a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer.

View attachment 95724

View attachment 95723

View attachment 95725

View attachment 95726

View attachment 95727

Wow beautiful I don't have a protien skimmer but getting one this Tuesday and my filter I bought and what ever was in it is what I used and the uv is in the works and the water change I will do Tuesday as well lol cause that's pay day for me what about a refugium here's some pics of mine

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120520_113231.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_113231.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 167
  • ForumRunner_20120520_113249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_113249.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 166
  • ForumRunner_20120520_113340.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_113340.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 163
  • ForumRunner_20120520_113415.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_113415.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 167
Well I wouldn't recommend a refugium till you are comfortable with the hobby itself. Even I still use the normal bio ball filter... I have doubts if that filter will be enough to sustain the bio load in the tank... Ideally a filter should have sponge, filter foil, activated carbon and bio media which would be bio balls or ceramic beads to house the bacteria which will break down your ammonia.

Have you got a wave maker or power head to get a good water flow in the aquarium... I really like the long tank... It gives you much better room to work with... Nice! :)

Yes I have a power head on the right hand back corner I had two but was knocking everything over and moving my sand can I I put all that media in that filter and my tank is way to clear a few weeks ago before the fish I had stuff growing all over now it seems to have gone please more info I want my tank perfect

Well if you have room in your hang on the back filter then you can sure include the media in that.

The skimmer is a good idea that will help loads. Word of advise don't get worried when you install your skimmer and find micro bubbles coming in to your tank... It will happen for a couple of days till the skimmer breaks in.

Well generally I recommend placing the power head on the same side of the intake to your filter. And face it to the far corner of the tank... Don't worry about the sand it will all fall in place according to the flow... Water flow is a lot like wind flow... Once the water is shot out by the power head it will flow to the far corner of the tank it will hit the glass and travel upwards and downwards to your sand bed in a circular motion and push the dirt back to where the power head and filter intake is located... Lol wow that's a lot to read :)

The clowns look super!

Thanks a lot can I put a anenome if spelled right in the tank and should I put more rock and should my coral be close to each like I have it

A protein skimmer isn't necessary as long as you keep up with your water changes.

Yeah I think an anemone would be fine but make it small and I recommend a carpet nem cause they are less fussy and move around much less compared with the bulb tip nems.

The general calculation is 1 pound of liverock to every gallon of water but end of the day it is about following your gut feeling as to what would suite your tank best.

I think your coral seems good but there again if you think something should be moved.... Go with your gut! :)

Would my clown play in it and I just bought a skimmer a mini skimmer 115 and a uv was ganna wait till Tuesday but I couldn't ............I think I have to much water movement cause my clowns are in one corner I don't know ..........

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120520_201255.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_201255.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 146
  • ForumRunner_20120520_201313.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_201313.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 136
  • ForumRunner_20120520_201342.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120520_201342.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 132
And should I have water in the foam cup or just foam not sure cause its filled with water and the foam is coming out

Just empty the water and adjust your skimmer down. It should have and air intake adjustment and maybe another type of adjustment, Its just adjusted a little high.

Your clowns should be fine... Are they eating and everything... Well if they are caught in the wild and not tank bread then there us a good chance of them hosting the nem. But there are no guarantees... My clowns took to my carpet in a matter of mins but there are people who have had nems for months and their clowns still haven't hosted them...

The water in the cup is normal... The water is caused when the bubbles burst and the remains drip down in to the cup... Make sure that it is only foam that over flows and not water too. The skimmer should be adjusted so that the tiny micro bubbles produced by the skimmer end at the bugging of the cup as shown in the pic.

View attachment 95849

They eat very good and right when u sent the reply they came out it may have been cause I had my hand in the tank was doing some aquascaping and adding the uv and skimmer and I adjusted the skimmer working fine thanks a lot a whole lot

No problem at all... I learned a lot from the forum when I first started out and now I have two nanos, a 10 gal and a 15 gal running well... Your tank will start to really pick up in about six months when the coral start to grow in nicely... Good luck and keep me updated on this thread ok...

What size sump would you get? I wouldn't want a sump the size of my tank..

Nice ideas and good luck!

Don't put a carpet anemone in a ten gallon if you want a nem get a rose bubble carpet nems will get way to big

Also I have a banded shrimp I woke up this morning turned on my light and saw him what I thought was him dead but couldn't believe it so I looked around and found him with my goby lol do I have two or he shedded what can it be

Ok just a few things I would like to add here. Don't get an anemone yet. Yes you can keep them in small tanks but the tank needs to be running for 6-8 months before you have the proper bacterias n such built up.

2. Take off the background of the tank. The rock and corals inside the tank is what you will want to look at. Not a paper background.
3. HOB filters aren't great for salt water tanks. The bacteria builds up in the filter, but sadly you have to toss out these filters every month or so getting rid of all the bacteria you built up.

Back
Top Bottom