My first two fish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digi691

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I ran my 12 gallon nano cube run and do its thing for like 2 weeks. I tested the tank and Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels were all at zero. I then decided to introduced a red reef crab to see how my tank would hold. The red reef crab did fine. I then purchased 2 turbo black snails and 2 bumble bee snails a week later after the red crab. A week later the snails were heros eating the alage away from my glass. I then took the plunge at put a pair of Sebae Clowns. Once was about half the size of the other. They faught for like 2 hours and then became friends. They were fine for two weeks and last friday i noticed they had little white spots(kind of like bubbles or dried salt). Tuesday night before i went to bed i noticed that they had a lot more white on them. When i woke up one was stuck to the filter and half dead, the other dead behind a rock. A couple hours later the other one died. My Phosphate level is about .5 mg/L, Amonia is about .1 ppm, Nitrite was about .1 mg/L, Nitrate was about 5 ppm, salinity is about 1.022, and temp is around 80-81 degrees. Only thing that has significantly changed from last weeks test i took on monday is the Nitrate jumping from 0-5 ppm. I thought these were acceptable ranges. Just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with the water. Or if there is something in the water that needs to be treated. All the snails and tje crab are doing fine. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on doing a water change tomarrow when I can get a hold of some R/O water.

You have ICK my friend...
Turn the temp up a little and let the tank with no fisn in it for a month and try again...

I'm sure someone will chinme in with some kick ick ideas...
I never had to deal with it.. (knocking on wood)

And that tank seems a little small for 2 clowns..
Try 1 or 2 damsels or chromis first, see if they do well, then trade em in for a clown and a small gobie maybe...

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. There could be a number of issues here. First of all, the Sehae clowm is one of the more agressive clowns and should he housed alone (unless a mated pair) and i they require at least a 30gal tank. How did you cycle the tank? If you did not use anything to kick off the cycle that would explain your readings of zero on all after a couple of weeks. The ammonia you are now seeing could be from the dead clown or it could be the beginging of your cycle started by the addition of the clowns. What are you using for substrate, any LR in the tank?

IMO your tank needs to be fishless for a minimum of 6 weeks. I know this from experience!! :cry:

Welcome To AA!!!!!!!!! :D

I have about 6lbs of LR. And maybe 2LBs of live sand from my LFS. When i first setup the tank i waited till i had the salinity right and the temp. Then i added the LR and LS. I let it cycle for like 2 weeks. Then i added the crab. If i have ICK, is this going to be recurring problem or is it because of the small tank that the clowns died? The plan with this nano cube is to create a small nano reef.

By your discription, I am not sure you really cycled the tank. I would recommend removing all of the livestock and cycling the tank with a raw shrimp from the grocery store. It is a good excuse to by a pound of shrimp, put one in the tank and grill the rest for dinner :wink:
Check out the articles section at the top of the page. There is avery good article on "fishless cycling". Good luck...Lando

Back
Top Bottom