My Future Build 30-40g AIO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW! the last one is just beautiful! Really does give me some good idea's for mine :)

Filtration Question....

Been thinking, I am still leaning to getting the AIO tank but was also looking at alternatives to keep my options open.

So here was my thinking, if I went with a regular tank, 40g, and just purchased the things I need (i.e. filter HOB Skimmer, HOB Reactor etc.) and no sump....what would be the best option for filtration? HOB, Canister, other?

Any suggestions would be a big help :)

My personal favorite is rimless drilled tank with sump. Gives a great clean look.

AIO is great from what I have experienced so far but are limited on equipment.

You wouldn't need a HOB or canister. The reactor and skimmer would be fine.

Awesome! Another question Red lol, what type of reactor would I need? Was looking on BRS and there are so many types depending on the media you want to put in it. Never worked with reactors before and not sure which way to go.

My personal favorite is rimless drilled tank with sump. Gives a great clean look.

I would love that but have no idea how to drill one lol.

AIO is great from what I have experienced so far but are limited on equipment.

That's one of the reasons I am looking at all options. Figured if I wait until petco have their next $1 a gallon sale I can spend 40.00 for a tank instead of almost $500.00 for the AIO.

You could also go the large ac filter with a media rack and hob skimmer route. Probably a little cheaper than a good reactor and a lot simpler.

You could also go the large ac filter with a media rack and hob skimmer route. Probably a little cheaper than a good reactor and a lot simpler.

That is a great idea Red. Will check that out as well and see what I can find. :)

If you do go aio definitely get a nuvo. But piecing everything together is more what I would do. Gives you more customability.

If you do go aio definitely get a nuvo. But piecing everything together is more what I would do. Gives you more customability.

Nuvo definitely without a doubt. So far after pricing everything the nuvo with all the extras I would need is going to run me almost $1500.00, compared to piecing everything it will run me about $800.00 max....so pretty good savings doing it this way. Not too mention it would be easier to convince my wife at the 800 lol.

Plus it will be a bigger tank, a 40g compared to a 30-35g. The guy at the petco store said they will most likely be having another $1 per gallon sale in a couple months. If so I can pick up the 40g from them and then grab the stand to go with it for less than the nuvo tank by itself. :dance:

If you go the AIO route make sure to look at CAD AIO also. Sweet looking tank. I have the nuvo 16 and love it so far

Looking at them now. Very nice tanks indeed. Gives me another option to add to the list now lol.

Ok, still working on getting the things I need for my new build. In doing so a question popped into my mind.

Once I get everything up and going I am wanting to have a mixture of softies, LPS and SPS along with fish of course.

Since SPS normally requires very clean water and LPS and Softies kind of like it a little "dirtier." So, if this is the case, what would be the best way to keep them all in one tank, parameter wise?

I want to start studying up on this for when the time comes to make sure I do it right lol.

Just do what bribo does :p. The lps and softies do just fine in the "clean" water, the biggest challenge IME in a fully mixed reef is getting the flow just right for everything.

Back
Top Bottom